Valued Contributor

Bomber(s) on the Loose

[ Edited ]

I live in northern NM, Santa Fe, but this morning in southern New Mexico, two churches were targets of bombings.

Fortunately, the bombs seem to have been small and there were no injuries, although one church had building damage.

One bomb went off near a Baptist church as congregants began to show up for services. The other hit a Catholic church during services, blowing out its glass entranceway.

Both appear to be incendiary devices set in a similar manner.

Now they're further reporting that a Christian church in Albuquerque has just been evaculated due to a suspicious package there.

It so sad that when people gather to pray - no matter the faith or the church or the religion - they're targeted by those who would see and prefer chaos and death.

There may be nothing more lurid in this world than the slaughter of schoolchildren in their school houses or of the innocent as they gather in their places of worship.

Its also why no matter the specifics of any one event, we all must always stand in solidarity with one another because no one is ever free of being the next target.

It was so wonderful to see the country come together so swiftly and clearly when the tragedy occurred in Charleston, SC. I mean, while that was a horrific event, the response was heartening. It demonstrates that there is more good in this world than bad. And that good will always triumph...no matter how badly the bad try to make it bad for everyone.

Anyway, if you could all just think about my little New Mexico brothers and sisters today, that would be nice. Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'll have to ask what is on everyone's mind.

What are we coming to as a nation, when people can't even worship in peace and safety?

We seriously need to address what we are doing to allow, people to believe that this is even an option. What are we not doing, that we used to, when this wasn't such a common occurrence? What do we need to do, to make sure those who would mean harm this way, find it not worth the punishment?

Honored Contributor

I had similar thoughts about the future drones that will be flying around haphazardly:..........that one day we will all be staying at home, trying to keep somewhat safe, more or less.  All we can do is hope for the best.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@surfk  I am so sorry to read this.  Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with people.  A church, regardless of denomination is supposed to be sacred ground, a sanctuary, a refuge. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Reuters is saying it was two churches in Las Cruces, one a Baptist church and the other a Catholic church both of which had worshippers in attendance but both bombs were outside one in a trash can another in a mailbox IIRC. No one was injured. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

Reuters is saying it was two churches in Las Cruces, one a Baptist church and the other a Catholic church both of which had worshippers in attendance but both bombs were outside one in a trash can another in a mailbox IIRC. No one was injured. 

And the one in the Catholic church went off just as people were receiving Communion. That one blew out the front entrance.

The one in the Baptist church hit so close as to cause everyone's ears to ring.

People can be anywhere in and around a church in a Sunday morning, in particular. Its just amazing that no one was hurt really.

And now there was a 3rd church evacuated in Albuquerque.

Such easy targets - always the easy choice for total cowards.

After the bombing this morning, the pastor of Holy Cross Catholic Church, Monsignor John Anderson, stayed with his parishoners in an emergency services staging area:

HolyCross1_500.jpg

The look in this little girl's face says everything as she made a sign to tell others that there would be no masses at the church today:

lascruces.jpg

And this isn't a religious matter necessarily. I mean, in these cases, it can be presumed its some statement about something religious perhaps. But obviously its not about any particular denomination or focused target.

Instead its how anyone is vulnerable at any time - from churches to mosques to synagogues to schools to malls to Parisian comix magazines. It why as horrible as it all is or can be, if everyone could come to the same conclusion that we're ALL potential targets, there would be more tolerance and love for all. Since we are nothing but each part of the "all" in the end.

Esteemed Contributor

Yet another terribly sad day for America.  Let's hope those responsible can be quickly apprehended.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'll have to ask what is on everyone's mind.

What are we coming to as a nation, when people can't even worship in peace and safety?

We seriously need to address what we are doing to allow, people to believe that this is even an option. What are we not doing, that we used to, when this wasn't such a common occurrence? What do we need to do, to make sure those who would mean harm this way, find it not worth the punishment?

This isn't new. Not at all. What about the church bombing in Birmingham back in 1963 that killed 4 girls? Or the Atlanta Temple bombing in 1958? 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the disruption of services in your state.  Seems there's a kook on the loose and when they are caught (because they will be), it will be for some petty motive only they understand. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor
So glad no lives were lost.