Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I'm relieved!  I'm flying in a few weeks but it's on an Airbus.  However I wasn't sure what my son & brother were flying on to go visit mom in Fl.

Off-topic, but who ever came up with the name "Airbus"? Buses don't fly. It conjures up these images for me. Lol.

IMG_1412.JPG

@handygal2   Ha!  I feel like I'm on a bus (actually a bus is probably more comfortable.)  Maybe they named that it since it's like flying in a bus!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

I read in one news report that suspending these planes actually would not have made that much of a disruption as people would think. I was surprised by that but there are not as many of these as other planes.

There must be a lot more disruptions due to weather all year long.

As to speculation It is natural to worry and wonder what caused 2 planes in 5 months to crash with similar initial reports. Plus, there have already been reports of what they think may have caused both these planes to crash, and also that in these circumstances you need experienced pilots who no longer have autopilot or it is not working correctly.

At any rate, I'm so glad they are now grounded!

I have a feeling too that all the people flying these days calling and changing or cancelling these flights were enough of a disruption, to have these grounded.

It is just alarming that our nation was the last to ground them, no thanks to the FAA!  

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

The FAA should have done that immediately!!!

Honored Contributor

@_O_ wrote:

The US has alot of restrictions, WAY more than other countries and US carriers are the safest. I cringe when I fly something other than in the US.  It will all play out, no worries

@_O_, I'd never heard this before, so I took a look:

According to AirlineRratings.com:

The AirlineRatings.com Top Twenty safest airlines have always been at the forefront of safety innovation, launching of new aircraft and they have become a byword for excellence.

THE TOP 20 SAFEST AIRLINES FOR 2019

Air New Zealand, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, EVA Air, Finnair, Hawaiian Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar, Scandinavian Airline System, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, and United Airlines, and the Virgin group of airlines (Atlantic and Australia),

According to AirlineRatings.com Editor-in-Chief Geoffrey Thomas, these airlines are standouts in the industry and are at the forefront of safety, innovation, and launching of new aircraft.

TOP 10 SAFEST LOW-COST AIRLINES FOR 2019

Responding to the public interest, the AirlineRatings.com editors also identified their Top 10 safest low-cost airlines. These are in alphabetical order: Flybe, Frontier, HK Express, Jetblue, Jetstar Australia / Asia, Thomas Cook, Volaris, Vueling, Westjet and Wizz.

Unlike a number of low-cost carriers, these airlines have all passed the stringent International Air Transport Association Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and have excellent safety records. To arrive at its Top Twenty, AirlineRatings.com takes into account the most important factors for safety. These include audits from aviation’s governing bodies and lead associations; government audits; airline’s crash and serious incident record; and the fleet age.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
They are saying it is a software problem and also there was not the usual pilot training on this plane because it was so similar to the last olane that was rolled out...guess it wasn’t the same after all. Am glad Trump grounded the planes until they make sure they are safe, but the FAA should have grounded them first.
Respected Contributor

It's about time. Instead of taking the lead, once again we lag behind.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Regular Contributor

@suzyQ3 , interesting...have not heard of Airline Ratings.com, thanks for the share.  I do know Boeing has a huge responsibility to figure it out since they have a ton that are ordered and are being postponed.  However, the 2 crashes that occurred are in 3rd world countries, their training is not the same, investigations not the same, regulations aren't the same as the US...thank goodness for the FAA, and they will turn to us for help on this.  As far as whom is to blame, I don't believe everything I read or hear in the news.  It's journalism, they might break a story but alot of details are left out, just enough for skeptisism.  

Honored Contributor
Actually I heard that Ethiopian Airlines has an excellent reputation. Lion does not. But according to this airline safety analyst dismissing Ethiopian Airlines as lesser and third world was not accurate.
Honored Contributor
PS
It is accurate to say that the Ethiopian government does not have the resources like the FAAwhich is why the black boxes have been sent to the US to analyze.
Respected Contributor

Ethiopian Airlines has an excellent safety record.