Honored Contributor

Great idea.  True transparency.  Anything from less effective teaching technique to student behavior could be observed.  Get's rid of the "she said he said".

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Re: Bodycams...........

I don't think it would hurt to wear them.

Might be expensive, but raising property taxes might bring in revenue.

What I've been wondering, though, is what's been happening in those states that have state lotteries and a portion of the lottery $$$$ was/is supposed to be given to public education. (?)

One would think that, with all of the millions/billions of dollars floating around via lotteries, there would be plenty of money for school security, teacher's salaries, etc., etc.

It would be interesting to find out if those teachers and schools in those lottery states have been taken care (of) in a positve way.  

'Just sayin' (and always thinking/wondering.........

Right now 60% of our property taxes are school taxes.

Do you honestly think people want to pay more?  I certainly don't and doubt others would want to either.

Honored Contributor

I think if there are any monies in your community just floating around, waiting to be used....it would be better spent on Law Enforcement Bodycams instead of teachers. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bodycams for teachers

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Guess the reasons aren’t so obvious to some. 

To me they would discourage bad behavior on the part of students AND teachers.  A recent video (by a student) that I saw on the news was of a teacher repeatedly punching a special needs teen girl in the face. Anyone think she would have thought twice about that if she was wearing a bodycam?

Where student behavior is concerned, if it doesn’t deter them it is at least a record for administrators and parents of student behavior.  Administrators can defend their staff against false accusations and parents will see proof their kids aren’t the angels they claim they are. 

@esmerelda 

Just to clarify, that was a SUBSTITUTE, if we are discussing the same case.

@lolakimono @esmerelda  After googling the video and seeing the assualt, just to clarify "SUBSTITUTE" was not the word that came to mind regarding the assailant. 

In my opinion a criminal investigation is warranted.

A parent does not know whether his/her child will be under the care/supervision of the regular teacher or substitute teacher when they leave for school in the morning.  I guess I just don't see this in any way as a mitigating factor.

@MarieIG 

This post is headed towards a teacher bashing thread, so when someone points out that there need to be body cameras to see what teachers are doing, I am merely pointing out that this wasn't a teacher.  This is someone who was employed for one day, who lacked the resources and training to know how to handle frustration in a classroom.  This is why teachers go to school, master classroom management routines and practices,  take safety trainings, learn deescalation strategies, and have the resources they need to be able to contact a more capable other when they need additional help.  At my school, we are lucky to find people who can come in for the day, and even then sometimes they do not want to come back.  

What that woman did was unacceptable for sure, but my issue is referring to her as a teacher, when she was not.  

@lolakimono As long as we’re accurate, IIRC the student in this case threw the first punch. How does that change things?

@esmereldaMost of the video out there focuses on the last set of punches thrown by this teacher, ending with throwing the student on the floor and stomping on her head.

But the full video shows the teacher hovering and leaning in to the student; the student waved her arm to get the teacher away.  The full video also shows that this teacher threw some punches, stopped, and then began a SECOND set of punches.

Any other movement of the student's arm is in self-defense as she tries to protect her face/head; she is not a threat.

There is audio, too, although unclear.  The student was not deliberately attacking this teacher.  Even if so, this teacher has a serious anger control problem; I think we can all agree her actions did merit firing and charges being brought.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I was licensed in two states, NM and AK. Degree was in K-8 and special needs. I worked as a substitute teacher. So many classrooms were given to some teacher's daughter, student teach or friend's child. Some I subbed for. Please don't disparage substitutes as a group.

Honored Contributor

I would much prefer still cameras in the classroom vs bodycams.  But, if still cameras pose a privacy issue then why wouldn't bodycams also pose a privacy issue.  I have watched a lot of body cam footage, and it's really hard to determine a lot without going frame by frame.  It's very jumpy and often doesnt show what you want it to show.  

We currently have a big case in the news where a person was shot and killed by police and the public has been demanding the body cam video.  Personally, I think the press is pushing that agenda since our state is one of the few that does not consider body cam footage to be subject to open records laws.  The DA gave a wonderful, detailed presentation with still shots from the footage showing the subject pointing a gun at a police officer at point blank range, and still some of the people want ALL that footage.  They also want the 911 call, I suppose, because they think they can prove that maybe the call was unjustified.  However, any time someone has a gun pointed at you (besides police) in my opinion, you are justified in shooting.  Now, because the officer was stuggling with the subject prior to this, they did show a very short clip in slow-mo of the footage, but becasue the officer's body turned in the struggle, the cam was pointed away from anything of use to investigators.  

I also feel like footage like that given to the public before investigations or court cases are completed creates a mob mentality and circumvents our criminal justice system.  In other words, you end up with trial by public opinion.

As far as a lottery paying for it, it's going to depend on how the lottery was set up in the first place.  The last time we had a lottery bill before us, the only thing the money was going to go to was scholarships.  If there was any extra, it could go for some computer equipment for classrooms.  I think a lot of lotteries are set up that way, with the money going to scholarships.  If that's the case, the money cannot be used for other things.  After the bill failed, every time something came up about the schools needing money, you had people saying "if those "people" hadn't voted down the lottery we wouldn't have this problem".  Obviously, they didn't read what they were voting on, becasue it was clearly stated on the ballot.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter 

Good question!. Where does money from sources such as state lotteries end up?  I live in NC and we were late getting into the lottery business.  It was sold to the public as a wonderful source of money for schools.  The lottery has been in use for quite a few years now, and guess what?   The cry for more $$$$ for schools is still needed. 

The problem, as I see it, is not a lack of money, there is plenty of it, but it's going to the wrong places.  Instead of more funding being directed to classrooms and teachers, more and more administrative positions are created with good salaries and benefits.  Why elementary schools require principals, vice principals and support staff is beyond me.   Once upon a time there was one principal with one assistant.  Class sizes have remained static.   Then there's the contracts for repairs, etc., that go to friends and family members, not necessarily the lowest bidder.  So, the funding us there, it's being misused! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 Not sure the reason for the long post. I wasn’t blaming the student.  You did provide more info than I had though. 

That the teacher/substitute gave two sets of punches explains how someone was able to get the video going for the second set. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic The lottery money went to the schools, quite a bit went to "New Comer" schools to educate those that aren't citizens because they flooded the schools which was never a point advertised to the public.

There was never anything at my school that we were told came from that money and I didn't get anything in my classroom.

Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic,  when Florida first promoted approving lotteries the funds were to go for educational "enhancements" and for a short period of time they did--classroom computers for example.

Then a gradual change began and state funding for basic education needs from teachers to supplies were cut and more and more of the lottery money was used to supplement those cuts.  The practice of budget cuts and lottery supplementation continues.

Essentially the same thing is happening in North Carolina.  In addition to supplementing budget cuts NC has also put a lot of lottery money into sports related improvements including facility enhancements, over education enhancements.

I cringe every year when the state budget figures for basic education needs are released.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.