Esteemed Contributor

Re: Body of missing jogger Eliza Fletcher identified

This is heartbreaking. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been, and what she probably endured. She has two young children that no longer have their mother. Parents that lost a child in the most horrendous way possible, and a husband left to raise two young children without her.

Respected Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

I don't believe in the death penalty. 

There is a reason this murderer started his criminal life at 12 years old and his incarceration only fueled whatever hatred he has inside.

Please do not blame this victim. This could just as easily happened if she was leaving her house early for work. 

@JamandBread PLEASE do not misunderstand my comment.  I IN NO WAY blame this poor victim.  It's just so sad how much life has changed and how careful we have to be.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I also do not believe in the death penalty. The Innocense project proved that many people who died or sentenced to death were innocent. The criminal justice system is flawed. In addition, the death penalty is applied to people of color in proportions way over their population percentage. If you have money, yiou can get good attorneys wheras poor people have to settle for a public defender who is most likely overworked. I do not believe the death penalty is a deterrent. No criminal believes they will get caught. Just my opinion.

@chessylady   I am also anti-death penalty and I agree it is not a deterrent.

However, your stats are not quite accurate.

According to the Death Penalty Info. Center and the US Dept. of Justice, the stats for 2020 show that more whites are on death row than any other race.

However, persons of color are more apt to receive the death penalty if the victim is white vs. if the victim was a person of color.

Whether the executions are carried out per state is another issue and also whether the death penalty is handed down depending upon the type of crime-which also varies by state.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Most victims have been careless or put themselves in harm's way. To ignore or deny it ignores the facts. A person should be safe to run anywhere at any time, swim in the ocean and not be attacked by sharks, eat questionable food and not get sick, leave their door unlocked and not get robbed...but everyone ineeds to accept that what should be seldom is. Adults are responsible to do their part to keep themselves safe. When I became a parent I stopped taking unnecessary risks because I chose to bring a child into the world who was dependant upon me for their care. Some of us feel that pre-dawn running alone was too risky and that she shouldn't have put herself in harm's way. Of course she's the victim, but so are her children.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

When she went missing, a friend wrote in a Facebook group devoted to finding Eliza Fletcher:

“She is an avid runner, mother and teacher. She qualified for the Boston Marathon. You can’t teach, raise children and train all in regular business hours. She is a phenomenal amazing woman who needs our help, not any judgment.”

I had read that too. And when you run marathons you need to run many miles to stay in shape. Also, it is good to run before it gets hot from the sun.

My husband never ran a marathon but he ran half marathons. He had to start running at 5 AM. So he could get his miles in before work. And he was only trying to get in shape for HALF marathons. 

Honored Contributor

How was this guy out walking the streets?  smh

Honored Contributor

My first thought about someone (man or woman) running so early in the dark is getting hit by a car.

I've only watched 'local' news which is depressing enough and haven't watched  MSM world news so I didn't know about this woman.  No idea what she looked like or how old she was.  I didn't even know she was wealthy as I saw she was a teacher.

It's tragic what happened to her.  Her moments with him must've been horrific.

I wouldn't say the man accused was 'sick and demented' or a 'crazy lunatic' as @SeaMaiden describes him. 

He was just a very hateful, mean person, bad to the core.  He belonged in prison, not a 'nut house for insane people', he was very aware of what he was doing. 

IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This story made me angry. Angry at the monster who took this mother too soon from her family. 

Angry at the woman for jogging at 4:30 in the morning. By the way, that's why they have treadmills.

I am sure she was busy as a wife, mother, and teacher, which is why she picked that hour to get in her morning jog. 

I also do not believe that I am blaming the victim, she has paid the ultimate price. 

As woman we need to stop thinking about good areas and bad areas. Trust me I watch the ID Channel (It happens everywhere) Suburbia, Cities, and rural areas.

We owe it to ourselves to be vigilant about our security and safety. 

Blessings for this wife, mother, daughter. 

Trusted Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

This story made me angry. Angry at the monster who took this mother too soon from her family. 

Angry at the woman for jogging at 4:30 in the morning. By the way, that's why they have treadmills.

I am sure she was busy as a wife, mother, and teacher, which is why she picked that hour to get in her morning jog. 

I also do not believe that I am blaming the victim, she has paid the ultimate price. 

As woman we need to stop thinking about good areas and bad areas. Trust me I watch the ID Channel (It happens everywhere) Suburbia, Cities, and rural areas.

We owe it to ourselves to be vigilant about our security and safety. 

Blessings for this wife, mother, daughter. 

She was an avid runner, who qualified for the Boston Marathon. People training for marathons do not do it using a treadmill.

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” -Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover What a beautiful picture of Eliza and her family.   My thoughts and prayers are with her family.  Shame on those of you who blame her for jogging early in the morning.  She and her family are the victims.  

All of us here live in different neighborhoods throughout the country and know our environments.   I'm sure that Eliza wouldn't have that routine if she didn't feel safe.