Respected Contributor

Re: Body of missing jogger Eliza Fletcher identified

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

She could afford to have hired someone to run with her, altered her route, taken a self defense class, a dog or two, watched ID, Dateline so that when the SUV pulled over in her path, known the likely reason. She made of herself an easy target for no legitimate reason. 

@occasionalrain 

Uh Huh!  As I said in my other post! Blame the Victim!

hckynut  🇺🇸

Pretty sure that person is just trolling. Trying to get a rise out of people

The poster did the same trolling in the Gabby Petito murder case. It's best not to respond to he/she.

@paixmcdao 

I have been here for over 20 years and unless someone "hacked" this person's computer system? That person has been around here a long time, and I do not consider them to be a troll.

Sorry, ain't buying it.

hckynut  🇺🇸

I agree. Never understood calling someone a troll because they have a differing opinion on a topic being discussed. While you may not agree with her opinion on this topic, she has every right to post it and doesn't equate to her being a troll.

Honored Contributor

Trolling is a label for an activity. "Troll" is a label for a person.

I might think some of an individual's posts are trolling-type posts without labeling everything they post as being the work of a troll. All or nothing thinking is very limiting in this case.

I might say that someone wrote an inaccurate or unkind sentence or post, but that would not be labeling the human being as inaccurate or unkind. People who are kind overall may occasionally do an unkind thing here or there. Mixed bag people do both unkind and kind things. You have to be unkind quite often to deserve the label of being an unkind person.

I do think that making outrageously worded attacks on a murder victim is a trolling type response. If that same person also has normal things to say in other posts, they are not a "troll." They are simply a person who appears to have a pattern of writing trolling type posts about certain female murder victims. A pattern that some have noticed over time. Posts that come across as intended to cause upset.

Never be afraid to label an action or a pattern of behavior. Positive and negative. Voice your opinion.

And be very cautious about labeling a person. No one seems the least bit afraid to label my posts with judgemental and unkind words. If I took offense or defended myself every time, or claimed those individuals were insulting and labeling me as a human being, those responses could clog up any thread I contributed to.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's unending horror for the loved ones of the innocent assault and murder victim.  My other concern is, that we're seeing these surging crime rates of the largest cities being duplicated in midsize ones like Memphis, and continuing to show a widespread trend.

Yesterday, right on the heels of the murder of Eliza Fletcher,  a man went on a murder spree in Memphis, killing one and wounding others.  One of his acts he broadcast on social media.  Thankfully, he has now been apprehended, but the city had some very tense hours and more tragedy.  

He actually killed 4 people and injured 3 more. My daughter, former in-laws and many many friends live in Memphis and were terrified.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Oh, you are right, @Love to Run ,  I don't know why I originally thought the number of casualties was only one--  thanks for the correction.

Prayers for Memphis dealing with multiple blows.

Super Contributor

Running community honors Eliza Fletcher by finishing her last run.

Tributes to murdered Memphis mother Eliza Fletcher are happening across the country with running groups organizing to finish “Eliza’s run” after she was abducted on her morning jog.

The 34-year-old teacher and mother of two was abducted on the University of Memphis campus during the halfway point of her 10-mile run from her home last Friday.

Hundreds plan to gather in Memphis Friday morning and start running at 4:20 a.m., the same time she was abducted, and run the entire route.

How great is this.

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Trolling is a label for an activity. "Troll" is a label for a person.

I might think some of an individual's posts are trolling-type posts without labeling everything they post as being the work of a troll. All or nothing thinking is very limiting in this case.

I might say that someone wrote an inaccurate or unkind sentence or post, but that would not be labeling the human being as inaccurate or unkind. People who are kind overall may occasionally do an unkind thing here or there. Mixed bag people do both unkind and kind things. You have to be unkind quite often to deserve the label of being an unkind person.

I do think that making outrageously worded attacks on a murder victim is a trolling type response. If that same person also has normal things to say in other posts, they are not a "troll." They are simply a person who appears to have a pattern of writing trolling type posts about certain female murder victims. A pattern that some have noticed over time. Posts that come across as intended to cause upset.

Never be afraid to label an action or a pattern of behavior. Positive and negative. Voice your opinion.

And be very cautious about labeling a person. No one seems the least bit afraid to label my posts with judgemental and unkind words. If I took offense or defended myself every time, or claimed those individuals were insulting and labeling me as a human being, those responses could clog up any thread I contributed to.

I like to think that poster enjoys playing devil's advocate. I enjoy many of her posts on various topics.

I'm glad you don't let the slings and arrows of anonymous posters get to you. You know who and what you are and that's what counts.

Respected Contributor

So, soo very sad. Woman Sad

Ladies, Men, kids, everybody .. pls, please research, .. ask Police for suggestions, products.  & handily carry the protection, ...  be it "colored-emitting" Pepper Spray," ... Taser, ...  *PLUS* AT LEAST a "Police Whistle," ....  any, & all protection...  whatever it takes, to make yourself (& loved ones), as SAFE AS POSSIBLE 

(Keep it handy,, not tucked away in public,"unsafe" places.

This poor family, her friends, relatives, & her school kids!

..  Rest assured, *YOU WILL BE MISSED!*  .. if something happens to you!.

Even more horribly in such as these circumstances.

Trusted Contributor

@KKJ

I agree. Never understood calling someone a troll because they have a differing opinion on a topic being discussed. While you may not agree with her opinion on this topic, she has every right to post it and doesn't equate to her being a troll.

I used the word "trolling" and did not call anyone a troll. There is a difference.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

There's the saying, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them." We need to do that more with career criminals. There needs to be a way to isolate them from the general population. When you see the arrest records, often dating back to their youth, it's clear they don't have a right to be among the general population.

As to taking more precautions, if someone wants to do you harm, they'll find a way. Philly had a rapist many years ago who lurked in one of the parks along a jogging trail and would club female joggers on the back of the head with a brick to render them unconscious then rape them. Mace, pepper spray, a knife, or a gun, does you no good in that circumstance. They saw nothing, just woke up, often in the hospital with a concussion and fractured skull after the attack.

If you're jogging along a road, someone intent on doing you harm can hit you with their car, badly injuring you, then drag you off. Running in a group might help deter some bad actors, or not. They might just try to kill those running with you and still take you. There is no "safe" way to do anything unless you lock yourself into a safe room in your home 24/7. And that's not living.

We've done a lot in my lifetime to destigmatize criminals. We blame their acts on the lack of education, poor parenting, societal failures, etc. We almost never blame the criminal. Maybe we need to go back to stigmatizing criminal behavior. Maybe we need to go back to a time when if you broke the law, you were more of an outcast. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman 

Could not agree more with everything you said.

I ran for over 40 years, much of the later years on a treadmill, and organized road races. Those years were before criminals became the victims. It was when the real victims were considered the victims, not the criminals.

I understood and understand criminal reform, but it has swung way too far in the cases of too many criminals. Without punishing those that break the laws, commensurate with their crimes, our most fundamental right, means absolutely nothing.

Never have understood "good behavior" in a prison, as a reason to release violent criminals early. Many of which do not even serve half the total years of their sentences. Without personal safety??

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)