Trusted Contributor

Re: Body of missing jogger Eliza Fletcher identified

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

I did not mean Tn was liberal, but the state of our country.  Sorry, I was not clear.

What does the "state of the country" have to do with each states' law?

I do hear this propaganda repeated on the internet constantly so I'm trying to understand the thought process behind it....

I am unsure what you are asking. The state of this country is allowing demons like this creep killer loose, lax laws against criminals in general that then allow them to injure , steal and kill innocent people.  They defund police when they should be adding many more and giving them BIG pay raises.   There are no excuses to break the law. PERIOD!

You cannot have it both ways. The entity you are trying to blame (the federal government) has NOTHING to do with Tennessee criminal law. The federal government does not make the laws, decide the punishment or control parole boards. That is a function of the STATE. 

You can't possibly believe the conservative legislatures and governor of the state of Tennessee, who make ALL the decisions about criminals in their state, including the decision to kill prisoners, are soft on crime and have defunded the police.  

Frequent Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

His bail is set at only $500,000.  Sure hope he can't raise the 10% needed.  What a tragedy this is for this family.

He has now had more charges made and his bond is revoked; thank goodness!

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl 

What's cruel is two small children without their mother. Perhaps it's insensitive to be angry with her for not doing all she could to be safe. She took no precautions, followed none of the recommendations women regularly receive. Maybe she felt safe, and apparently she had been for months/years, until she wasn't and hadn't planned for the unexpected, unimagioned. I just wish she had considered the worst case scenario and protected herself. If only

Frequent Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

Liberal state that lets out prisoners who have been convicted of serious crimes. So now another innocent person is dead at the hands of these evil animals and the failure of our justice system.

Tennessee is not even a little bit liberal. I live here. No worries. Our laws are as draconian and lacking in mercy as you would hope them to be.

I'm glad to hear that!  I hope he gets the death penalty.

Super Contributor

@occasionalrain NO, it is not her fault.  We don't live in a third world country yet, women do not need to hide behind doors or only go out in public with a MAN.  

If you actually understood women ATHLETES, you would know why they run at 4 am, why they run alone.  

My neice is an Ironman Athlete - meaning she is one of the top athletes in the world in  trialthalons.  Yes, she works a job, not like others that have turned professional.  She works 8 to 10 hour days, tried to train in her spare time in Nebraska, where the weather in the winter is not conducive to be out running.  Her mom (my sister) who is 76 yrs old regularly goes with her (in my sisters car), to enable her to feel safe.  

So yes, you are very insensitive.  Women are not what our mothers, or you, apparently seem to be.  Women in todays world do not hide behind doors, nor should they.  

Trusted Contributor

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/women-speak-safety-running-death-memphis-jogger/story?id=89416111

As a walker, these comments from women on Twitter ring true.  I am very careful, I always walk in the daylight.  If I walk at night to look at holiday lights, I take my phone, my Tiger Claw weapon and walk only in lit and familiar areas.

Women are always having to be afraid it seems.   It's beyond sad.

Super Contributor

@occasionalrain And apprently after reading the news - In Memphis - The day before Fletcher disappeared, two suspects allegedly kidnapped a mother and her 1-year-old toddler outside a Target in broad daylight, forced them into a vehicle, drove them to an ATM and demanded the mother withdraw $800 in cash before releasing her and her child.

Since this was in BROAD DAYLIGHT, what is YOUR statement on victim blaming on this?

Honored Contributor

Apples v Oranges. The motives and intent were totally different as was the outcome.

Honored Contributor

@new nickname 4 

I never posted that women needed to hide behind doors or anywhere else. I never posted women needed to be accompanied by a man. I posted about going running in the wee hours alone, and it seems your niece agrees since her mother goes along in a car.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@JJsMom 

Are you saying that running alone at pre-dawn on a deserted trail every morning, same route is no more risky that going to Target in the middle of the day?

You might want to look up the abduction of Kelsey Smith. She was abducted in June at 7pm. The parking lot was filled with cars and shoppers. @occasionalrain 

Not only was Liza isolated, but she was also attacked by the element of surprise. I can not imagine the terror.