Esteemed Contributor

Re: Body of missing jogger Eliza Fletcher identified

It doesn't matter what time she ran,  this killer would have probably grabbed

her another time or someone else, possibly a child. Lock him up, throw away

the key or better execute. I am for the death penalty.

Honored Contributor

I wish people would stop writing about good neighborhoods, versus bad neighborhoods!!!

It no longer matters, the bad guys go into the good neighborhoods......Just becuase you live in a good area, or what is considered a good area, you can't let your guard down.....I tell my daughter that ll the time. She an dher family live in a very very small, relatively safe area, but it can still happen-it can be a passerby who decides to do harm...You never know-so it doesn't matter if you are running in  good nieghborhood any longer!!!!

Honored Contributor

I learned as a high school student (in the 60's)  and in the city, the dangers of walking alone in the dark of the day. Twice men tried to cut me off and even turned at a 4 way stop to be on my side of the street when I walked by.  We felt our neighborhood was a pretty safe neighborhood.  After that, I carried a tear-gas pin and was always on the look out.

We live in a rural addition now that has had almost no problems. I used to feel safe to walk at night but not anymore.  We can't live by "if only's" but we can learn from what happened to this poor woman.  She probably felt she was safe and she should have been. I think it's time we teach are daughters more safety techniques.  We have a neighbor girl who has a black belt in Karate.  They started her at quite a young age and she is strong.  Being naive about these things now-a-days can result in death. We are not blaming this woman but I think we can learn from this terrible story.    

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@paixmcdao  I'm sure his defense team has already filed a Rule 11 Motion (competency) where the criminal cases will be stalled until he is deemed competent (able to assist his attorneys with his defense).  

Let's HOPE the competency process takes place IN JAIL.  If he's found to be incompetent he will be ordered to be "restored."  That could take YEARS (if ever)!! 

His attorney can request a mental competency hearing. @pdlinda  If a judge finds the defendant incompetent to stand trial based on the forensic psychologist’s evaluation, the criminal proceeding is halted, and the defendant receives treatment until the time they are deemed competent.

He will remain in jail and be evaluated while in custody. This guy has been in the system since he was 12 years old. He is predator, and a danger to society. Unfortunately, it took this horrendous kidnapping and torture of an innocent woman to put him where he belongs.

Trusted Contributor

I did not mean Tn was liberal, but the state of our country.  Sorry, I was not clear.

Trusted Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

I did not mean Tn was liberal, but the state of our country.  Sorry, I was not clear.

What does the "state of the country" have to do with each states' law?

I do hear this propaganda repeated on the internet constantly so I'm trying to understand the thought process behind it....

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why, oh why do women have to go out and jog in the dark at 4am?  I've got a niece who does that, despite family objections, and it scares me to death.  It's just not a smart thing to do.

I lived in Memphis for 26 years and have been running her same route by the U of M for the past two. Fortunately, I was able to meet a friend for my 5am run, but on days we couldn't meet either of us would run alone. Why? Because I need an early start, I'm a teacher just like Eliza; I have personal goals that do not depend on the cooperation of others; and finally, I have the unmittigated gall to believe that I should be able to enjoy being outdoors and be safe. Millions of American women run at all hours of the day and are relatively safe--hence the national outrage at Eliza's fate. My daughter, who still lives in Memphis, pointed out that another woman and her one year old were abducted from a Target parking lot at noon on the same day as Eliza. Fortunately, her captors released her after forcing her to make cash withdrawals. I'm sure no one is blaming her for choosing to shop in the middle of the day.

I now live in DC and was running on Mondays solo at 5am. No more, says hubby, he's getting up to run with me, and that's great. It's just not an option for many women.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Super Contributor

@occasionalrain - Are you serious? 💔
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

I do hear this propaganda repeated on the internet constantly so I'm trying to understand the thought process behind it....

Let me explain, take NY for example...has a very liberal DA who is known for what amounts to a catch and release program.  Lots of crime spiking and much of it is related to soft on crime policies, like downgrading charges and bail eligible offenses, and failure to prosecute certain crimes.   This is fact and not propaganda and similar policies are in place in certain cities in the US.  

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

Let me explain, take NY for example...has a very liberal DA who is known for what amounts to a catch and release program.  Lots of crime spiking and much of it is related to soft on crime policies, like downgrading charges and bail eligible offenses, and failure to prosecute certain crimes.   This is fact and not propaganda and similar policies are in place in certain cities in the US.  

I'm afraid you've misunderstood the question. 

TN is not a liberal state. To compare it to NY does not make sense.

To try to tie it into some liberal ideology to let criminals go free is ridiculous and is most assuredly a propaganda ploy. Some of the most violent cities are in very conservative states.