Honored Contributor
When I was a girl in the 1950s we would bob for apples at Halloween parties. I'm surprised my mother let me do that back then because she was germaphobic. But it was common entertainment at kids' parties. And here we are 60+ yrs later, can you even imagine that done today?

For people who never heard of it, apples were placed in a large tub of water and we took turns putting our face into the water (no hands allowed) to grab an apple by its stem to get it out of the water to eat it. Everyone put their face into the common water.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

At age 6 I thought that was the dumbest game.

Honored Contributor

I remember going to a Halloween party where you had to pass an apple under your chin to the next person in line without using your hands. So much fun, especially with all of the cute boys there! LOL!  Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Re: Bobbing For Apples

[ Edited ]

you were lucky your apples had stems.  and that galvanized tub probably held water for the barn animals the rest of the year.  hosed it off and good to go.  somehow we survived.

Esteemed Contributor

We bobbed for apples as teens in the 70s.

Also did levitation, sceances, Ouija board, Tarot cards, amd called on Mary Worth and watched Creature Features on WGN Chicago.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bobbing For Apples

[ Edited ]

I bobbed for apples in the 70's.

What I would do is push the apple to the bottom of the tub, completely submerging my head in to the water, so that I could get a firm hold of the apple.

I didn't care that I got wet. I got the apple, and I didn't use my hands.

Yeah, I was a weird kid.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee Remember doing it at church youth functions in the 50's and 60's. We weren't allowed to celebrate Halloween, so we bobbed for apples.

Honored Contributor

Bobbing for apples happened in the 70's too and I don't remember any apples having stems on them.

Honored Contributor
@beach-mom. I remember that pass the apples game too. I didn't like that one as much, probably because I wore eyeglasses at an early age and they got in the way.

@mizree Our tub and the tubs of my friends were not used for barn animals. We lived in a very large city, as I have my whole life.
Honored Contributor

I skipped the apple bobbing and made a beeline for the sweets table 😏