Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I subscribed to Nomorobo on our landline.  Now if it's a robo call, the phone rings once and the caller is disconnected.

How do you subscribe? Through the internet or through your landline provider? Thanks!!!!

@CANDLEQUEEN

You just google nomorerobo and look for their website (I dont know if QVC mods would delete it if I posted the link, but google it and you will find it....doesnt work on all phone providers though.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt I know it is so sad, I will continue to pay the $4,50 per month however, as there are some undesirable people from the past that feel the need to harass me and make my life miserable, this at least keeps our number out of the phone book (knock on wood).  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I received a call from my area code on my cell yesterday and answered it. A guy knew my name and got all friendly like we were old pals and then started his pitch for a charity. I asked him how he got my number since it was not published and he said from a list. He said he would remove me from it, I hope that's true. My cell also has anonymous call rejection which I have on and has caused me to miss some important calls such as from my tax preparer.  I always make it clear that people need to remove their caller i.d. block when they call me. I'm at a point where I don't care anymore if I miss their call. 

@truffle

charities and political calls are exempt from the do not call list rules.....some of the charities are almost as bad as the robos.....they are very persistent even if you tell them to remove your number from their list, some of them are paid contractors by the charity and they keep a percentage of donations--Good Housekeeping said a good question to ask particularly hard sell charity callers, "how much do you get paid for each donation"....they usually hang up after hearing that question!  But with these charities with all the scammers and fraudsters out there, what person with any intelligence would actually give their credit card number and other personal info to an unknown person over the phone????????????????!!!!!!!! Even if its a legit charity I've given to in the past.....I tell them, with all the scammers and fraudsters and identity theft going on, I dont do any business by phone. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Spurt I know it is so sad, I will continue to pay the $4,50 per month however, as there are some undesirable people from the past that feel the need to harass me and make my life miserable, this at least keeps our number out of the phone book (knock on wood).  

@CareBears

I still pay for an unlisted number too....unfortuantely we have to layer and use all the available devices we can to stop these annoying calls!!!  And if we didnt have the unlisted number it would be even worse.....since my aunt had a smartphone, she switched her land line to the most basic plan without the unlisted number and boy did she regret that!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@SeaMaiden

You do know you can set it to block and NOT ring at all.

The instructions are in the book and you set it up using the handset.  There is an on/off option.

I have mine set for off.  All I see is the screen lighting up and then, "Caller Blocked."  I can still see the number that called in by checking the Caller ID.

At least I've stopped the ring

@Witchy Woman yes, I like the one ring....it gives me satisfaction 😀

Honored Contributor

Re: Blocking unwanted calls

[ Edited ]

Still searching for the solution....The landline has Nomorobo with AT&T, the cells are with Verizon and they have told me this service is not available for cell phones.  I've gotten to the point where I mainly use my phone for outgoing calls (and yes, now I'm receiving lots of these calls from my area code).  The cells I block, especially after goggling and see all the complaints on certain numbers, but the number just keeps changing.  DNC is worthless, and several have indicated an increase after listing on DNC list.  Yes, most numbers are privately listed...makes no difference.  My blocking limit will be reached quickly on the cells.  Phone rings and our home no longer even looks...answer only if a message is recording and it is a legit caller.  Selecting only the numbers that can call through has problems also...you might miss important calls.  I'm thinking of changing phone numbers which also has drawbacks.  I've looked at a service online that has automatic messages that can be recorded on your phone that has potential...the service is $5-10 a month.  I don't look at my phone frequently and sometimes I miss friend's calls as a result.  Seems we are all experiencing similar issues and if you look on line, it is endemic.  I understand there is legislation looking at this issue...can't be soon enough.

Honored Contributor

I have an iPhone and can block calls but I generally don't answer if it's a number I don't recognize.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart

My cell phone is not a problem.  It is our landline. 

We have a small B&B and do not want to give up the number.

Esteemed Contributor

On my Iphone I have two apps.  One is Mr number and the other is online reverse lookup.  I use both when I get a call on my cell just to check out if it is a scam and who might be calling.  THEN I BLOCK (IPHONE FEATURE)

When my landline gets a number I don't recognize I go to my cell and put in THAT number.  When I am sure it is a scam I then dial *60 on my Comcast landline phone allowing me to block it. 

It does seem like a long process but it beats having to answer dangerous or annoying calls.  And I am told even saying the word YES can get you in all sorts of trouble as it did my friend. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@CalminHeart

My cell phone is not a problem.  It is our landline. 

We have a small B&B and do not want to give up the number.

Hi. Yes, I remember the landline problem.  Have you registered your number with donotcall.gov?  It helped but didn't stop all the calls. I received so many unwanted calls on mine too.  I kept it as long as I did because my son was deployed several times and military overseas calls didn't go through to cell phones until a number of years ago.  It's been a while since I gave up my landline and it's worked well for me.  It doesn't work for everyone though.