Esteemed Contributor

Blocking unwanted calls

[ Edited ]

Seems no matter how many numbers I block, calls continue coming in.

I did get that Panasonic phone set from HSN last year and I'm really happy with it.

But.....

Rather than using the same numbers over and over, I think the scammers are using an infinite supply of numbers. 

Now and then I will see a blocked call is coming in, but more often than not, a rash of new numbers show up every day!

Not to mention I am getting an increasing number of calls from numbers with my local exchange.  I am guessing they think if you see what appears to be a "local" number, you will pick up.

I will continue to hit "block call" but at this rate, that 250 capacity will fill up at some point.

It's better than it was, but it seems these scammers always find a way around it!

Honored Contributor

I subscribed to Nomorobo on our landline.  Now if it's a robo call, the phone rings once and the caller is disconnected.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

That service is not available from Verizon, my carrierCat Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman The same thing is happening here, our cable/hphone company offers a service called "Selective Call Acceptance" it lets me plug in only the numbers I want to receive calls from, anyone else gets a message that I do not want to be disturbed at this time, all I hear is a 1/2 ring when an unwanted number calls in.  I used to get several calls a day, now I receive about 2 calls per week, and I have actually cut down the time I put the service on.

It is so sad that we have to go to these extremes to stop these type of calls from getting through, but such is the world we live in.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I subscribed to Nomorobo on our landline.  Now if it's a robo call, the phone rings once and the caller is disconnected.

I too subscribed to Nomorobo and it does work. Our phone rings numerous times a day 1x ....the only thing that would be better is if it didn't ring at all. 

Honored Contributor

There is some kind of app that people and telemarketers use to get different numbers. When they use this app, it looks like the caller is making a call from anywhere in the country. Stalkers use this app to track their victims.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee

I'm sure that is what is going on.

Each call that comes in is identified by some city name.

I figured out quickly that this was just a ploy and never answer.  When it goes to the recorder, there is a hang up.

All of that is great, but, as I said, they have access to an infinite supply of numbers, so.....they can call over and over using different locations.

That aside, I'm never picking up, so they can call until the end of time.  I will continue to block as many as I can.

When the 250 fills up, I'll start over.

I'm never giving in!Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears

I will check to see if Verizon uses this, but I doubt it.

Right now, the incoming calls are "manageable."  Any blocked calls don't even ring.  I only know they've called when I call the "caller list" or see the phone light up and "caller blocked" shows on the screen.

But, it just annoys the heck out of me that they always figure out a way around it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman I pay $4.50 a month for an unlisted number but my husband was looking for a job and 1 of the applications called for 2 phone numbers, and I made the mistake of listing our land line as one of them, I swear within minutes the phone started ringing and we were getting phone calls day & night, several times a day, I was having to take the phone off of the hook, until I found out about this service our cable/phone company offered.

I feel for you though, not answering the phone no longer works, they just keep calling and calling, sad!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

How do you subscribe? Through the internet or through your landline provider? Thanks!!!!