Honored Contributor

Very interesting!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Blizzard in New Mexico

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 - Fun times! I love the snow and miss those days. A couple of weeks ago we had about an inch and I was out taking pictures. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was nuts. it was gone as soon as the sun came out.

Before that we had a small ice storm - yup, out taking pictures.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Desert weather is always strange to me. In an instant it can change so drastically and then it's gone like it never happened...just like that.

Isn't that the truth!  We live in the high desert in Cali and we had a snow storm back in the the 1990's where we couldn't get out of our driveway for a week. The hignways were cleared but we couldn't get there!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  Now that's the way to have a blizzard!!  Blizzard in the morning, evaporation in the afternoon!!  Done!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a suburb of LA, on Tues Feb 15th, after an unseasonable heat wave last week we had a powerful hailstorm that came down so fast followed by lightning, thunder and a downpour everything was covered in white for a few minutes, it was a sight to be seen and not normal for us city folks but beautiful while it lasted. 

Esteemed Contributor

WOW, @Kachina624 !

Many years ago, a supervisor told me his daughter had moved to New Mexico and they would get snow there, which I found hard to believe.  He explained her husband was a rancher they lived on a high plain there - forgot what they called it.  

So you do get the best of both worlds:  you see, feel the snow, then it's gone!  No mess to deal with.  It's really beautiful there; and I'd prefer your winters than our New England winters.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  Maybe 20 or 25 years ago they had a blizzard in the Eastern High Plains around Roswell and things were so bad, they had to air-drop hay to cattle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

So far, I've spent most of 2022 in the Calif desert and would love to see some precip!

Typically, we don't get snow on the NC coastline, but have gotten hit.  Three inches would only require a broom.  Just sweep your porch and sidewalk.  

I'd hate to see it disappear like you did.  I'm used to rain and miss it!

Esteemed Contributor

That's amazing @Kachina624 !  It's also sad - those poor animals aren't conditioned for the cold are they?  I know he said it often got cold during their wintertime, but figured not cold enough for the snow to stick..

Do they have a.Western High Plains?  I ask 'cause his daughter used to go ou tforlunch with Demi Moore every now and then he told me, so figure they lived closer to the CA side.

Anyways, you keep warm.  Around here this winter temps have been sporadic - couple weeks ago it was 60* on a Saturday, then we got a blizzard on Sunday! 

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme    No, the plains are on the Eastern side of the state.  I thought Demi Moore lived in Idaho.  Never heard of her hanging out in NM.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment