Respected Contributor

IMO he's got a lot of previous winners beat.   And most of the 31 other choices.   Definitely different strokes.  

There's nothing in the spoiler tag BTW.   OOPS!

Spoiler

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: Blake Shelton: People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive for This Year

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

People employees have seen pictures of Jason Momoa and Idris Elba right?  I get that sexy is a personal determination but some much better choices are out there IMO. 

I'm willing to bet this magazine may be wanting a certain exclusive to a certain potential wedding and sexy had little to do with the choice.   

@Laura14

I was just going to bring up Idris!! 

I think this People Magazine contest is just a popularity contest . . . whatever show/movie is "big" at the time.  I had heard three of the actors on "This is Us" were in contention.  I don't watch that show, but I've seen them on the entertainment shows and none of them are "sexy," IMO.

Idris Elba isn't chosen because I think the last thing on his mind is how sexy he is.  He always laughs it off when it's brought up in interviews, and it always is.  I think it embarrasses him. 

He's in two new movies right now.  I can't wait until they hit ON DEMAND or Netflix.  I watched the entire series on HBO twice ("The Wire") because of him!!  Although I admit it was one of the best drama series on TV at the time and HBO getting Emmy nominations wasn't happening in those days.

@LilacTree Idris is gorgeous and pretty underrated IMO. Unfortunately, in this day and age in America, I can only imagine the reaction if a black man, or any man of color, would be named Sexiest Man Alive. People have been angry with black actors being in the latest Star Wars movies even though Billy Dee Williams was in two of the sequels back in the 80's!  There's been stupid angry comments about the Black Panther movie despite the main character actually being black! And when Idris was mentioned as a possible candidate for James Bond, many were up in arms about that. It's all ridiculous. 

@Laura14  if People is secretly clamoring to cover Blake/Gwen nupitals, Blake's new title could get them an "in." 

@Cumbercookie13 there has already been two black hotties named Sexiest Man Alive and there will be more.

Dwayne Johnson and Denzel Washington both hold that title and they for sure are sexy.  Much sexier than Blake IMO.

Valued Contributor

The sexiest thing about him is he knows this is ridiculous and is having fun with it....looks have little to do with sexy...for me

Valued Contributor

I think Denzel should’ve won again. Love that man. ❤️
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Who decides this?

What are the qualifications?

How does one get on that committee?

@qualitygal

People Magazine, just as the title says.  You can Google the details by way of People.

Trusted Contributor

Hoda dressed as Blake for Halloween complete with blue contacs and jeans.  She and Kathy Lee pushed People Magazine to choose Blake, so they've said on their show. They interviewed Blake the day it came out.  

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I would have never picked Blake. Indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder & there are many I would pick over him. To me there are qualities that I much prefer over physical beauty, such as virtue, honor, integrity, character, honesty, but obviously that’s not the point of People magazine’s sexiest man alive.

@SurferWife

Actually, I do think that’s a big part of it @SurferWife. He is reportedly a wonderful and kind man.  His brother died and then he lost his sister.  He brought in all of her kids and is raising each and every one as his own.

You wanted a good and decent man to win and that’s just what People gave us. 

Frequent Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

I would have never picked Blake. Indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder & there are many I would pick over him. To me there are qualities that I much prefer over physical beauty, such as virtue, honor, integrity, character, honesty, but obviously that’s not the point of People magazine’s sexiest man alive.

@SurferWife

Actually, I do think that’s a big part of it @SurferWife. He is reportedly a wonderful and kind man.  His brother died and then he lost his sister.  He brought in all of her kids and is raising each and every one as his own.

@Noel7

I thought his sister and her husband are raising their own children? Did something happen to her?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@SurferWife

@Noel7...you’re speaking of Luke Bryan, not Blake Shelton. It was Luke’s brother and sister who died. His sister’s husband then died, at which time he & his wife took in their 3 children to raise.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@SurferWife

@Noel7...you’re speaking of Luke Bryan, not Blake Shelton. It was Luke’s brother and sister who died. His sister’s husband then died, at which time he & his wife took in their 3 children to raise.

@SurferWife

Thank you so much, I stand corrected! My mistake and I apologize.