Trusted Contributor

And today...

american-indian-women-dancing-blackfoot-reservation-montana-usa-B9550J.jpg

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Really great photo, i have such a interest in all American Indians, my dads mother was half,tried for years to find out which tribe they came from,even went to salt lake utah to get info.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Native daughter here. 

Not too many women were weak.  You had to be strong to survive. 

I may look into purchasing a photo or two for my home.  I have Southwest decor in the house.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

My grandmother's father was from the Blackfeet Nation.  He passed away long before I was born but I saw him in pictures and heard the stories  He was a proud strong Native American who who wore his hair in long braids, except when he was in the Navy.   He grew up on a reservation in Montana and was extremely well read.  He longed to see the Atlantic Ocean and to sail on ships  so at 16, he hitchiked across the country until he arrived in MA.  Exhausted, sick and penniless; the church took him while he recovered.  Parishioners brought him meals and read to him and spent time talking  with him.  Including my grandmother and her younger sister.  He recovered and enlisted in the Navy.  He got his dream.  He and my grandmother courted through letters and the small gifts he sent her when he was in some port.  Don't know how long he was in the Navy but they got married when he was discharged.  He never returned to his old life but he grew his hair long and wore it in the Blackfeet style all his life.  My sister has the picture of him at some family function dressed in a snazzy suit, looking like an Indian Chief.  

Honored Contributor

I think most women either have to be or need to be warriors.  Which is another way of saying "strong."

I'd extend that to saying "Most people" truth be known.  Life is easy peasy for not so many. . .

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 that's a wonderful photo and I agree, those women were strong and competent.

I've enjoyed reading the other posters photos and stories. The man I worked for had Cherokee ancestry. When I lived in Atlanta, we went to Cherokee, NC and saw the Unto these hills drama which tells the tribal story. 

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@Kachina624 that's a wonderful photo and I agree, those women were strong and competent.

I've enjoyed reading the other posters photos and stories. The man I worked for had Cherokee ancestry. When I lived in Atlanta, we went to Cherokee, NC and saw the Unto these hills drama which tells the tribal story. 

@GinaV24.  My family went and saw "Unto these Hills"  years ago when I was a youngster.  We lived in both Tennessee  and N. Caolina at one time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
Such a beautiful picture! Definitely look bada$$ ... strong ,compent, women ....are so inspiring to me !

I am woman hear me ROAR !!!