Trusted Contributor

Re: Black smooth top stove question

@Carmie wrote:

I have a black smooth top.  I have no trouble at all.  First I clean up the spills then apply a cooktop cleaner and polish.  When done it looks brand new and the polish protects the surface from scratches.

There are a few brands on the market and they all work pretty good.

1447CB37-F7FA-4E88-A9B9-5B32F038AC2F.jpeg

Completely agree. This product is superb. It also comes in a squeeze spray container. @Carmie  has described the method and product combo that is ideal. Also, make a slightly diluted solution of ammonia or vinegar to really cut grease if it’s super-icky, then use the Weiman’s for the finishing touch. Once you’ve got a clean shiny cook top yours proud of again, follow Carmie’s routine to clean up quick after any food prep.  

Honored Contributor

Pledge has the best floor cleaner too, used to be Armstrong.

It's all I ever used for years.

@Bri369 wrote:

@software wrote:

I don't have that kind of stovetop but I recently purchased Pledge Multi Surface cleaner and was really surprised how well it cleaned.   

pledge multi.jpg

I love this product.  I use it all the time.  It smells so good too

Esteemed Contributor

We tried everything on our old one. Nothing worked. So when we built the new house a gas stove was at the top of the priority list. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I have black smooth top and I clean it every night using Weidman glass cleaner (as others have posted) after I wipe it down with Dawn.  In fact, if something is "burnt" on I use a little softscrub on a Scrub Daddy -- let it sit and then I use razor blade (the kind used for window scraping).  

I then wipe it with water & microfiber cloth.  Dry and use the cooktop cleaner.

Looks still new although you can see some wear.  

Respected Contributor

I detest my black stove top!  And, I have never met anyone who likes theirs.  Nothing seems to clean the darn things. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

thanks @Marp 

just not sure why we have not been able to get this to light in a power outage.

will keep these notes handy. Smiley Happy

defiinitely going back to a flat glass cooktop though whenever we need a new cooktop. so much easier to care for than this......

https://kitchenaid-h.assetsadobe.com/is/image/content/dam/global/kitchenaid/cooking/cooktop/images/hero-KCGS550ESS.tif?$ka-product-thumbnail$

@sunshine45 

This is the exact one I have too!

@Marp

I am going to keep those notes too...thanks!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt ...

Any tips, chicky, as all of your appliances are black?

Kisses to Ru and Tarz.  8)

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@RespectLife I have cooked on electric stoves 40+years....I cannot imagine switching to gas....when I watch the House Hunters shows everyone wants gas for cooking!

On another note I am envious of your house #3...married 40 years and still in the same house, sigh....I'm gonna die here.  It's a nice, spacious home but I want to move...and since I am dreaming, I am going somewhere not in the midwest!

Snort @Mom2Dogs   Exactly!!!

I love to cook and watched way too many Food and Home shows!  LOL  Convinced myself all good cooks must use gas!  Hah! 

On a happy note, I did finally get my double wall ovens!  This was the third (and final!!) house we built.  This time we went totally custom and worked w/ an architect.  Designed it from top to bottom.  Our goal was to downsize....which we did a whole 25 sq feet.  Gave up the 4th bedroom, formal dining room and formal living room.  Got the kitchen of my dreams and a killer walk-in closet instead.

DH could take the stairs anymore in our 2 story, so we built a large ranch.  I told him we could get the elevator chair but he wouldn't hear of it!  Tee hee.

Honored Contributor

I prefer to cook with gas.  If given the choice, I'd rather cook with gas. 

Frequent Contributor

the only thing that I have had luck with is sold here on QVC Bio Cleaner.   Wet a scrubbie, use a small amount, wipe with damp paper towels and then the cloth that comes with it polishes it shiny no smudges nothing left behind.   It really only takes a minute or 2.  I used everything mentioned here before I found this, nothing else made mine look as good as this stuff does.  You can use it on a ton of other things too.