Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black smooth top stove question

I have had good luck spraying my stovetop with “Windex with Vinegar,” then a wipe with paper towels.  Would never want to go back to my old electric top with those stainless drip trays.

Valued Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

You should thank your lucky stars that it is not white.  Just saying.  White terrorizes you.

I have a white smooth top and it is horrible to clean. You can see scraches all over. My Mom had a black one and she always complained about it. That being said, I would never go back to the coil top. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i really miss my black smooth electric cooktop!

i was encouraged to purchase a gas cooktop with five burners that has very heavy grates. anytime anything is fried or sauteed on it it creates a big mess and i have to remove everything to clean underneath. i was told it would work when my electricity goes out and it doesnt. big mistake and it was expensive.

cannot wait to go back to a smooth cooktop again! i find it a lot easier to maintain.

@sunshine45 . With my gas cooktop I need to light it with a match when the electricity goes out. 

we thought ours would work like that also, but has what they call an "electronic ignition" on it. you cannot light it if the power is off. have tried so many times.

@sunshine45 

Bypassing Electric-Ignition Stove Burners During an Outage

Step 1

Shine a flashlight or other light source -- even a flashlight app from a cellphone -- near the stove if it's too dark to see the stove well.

Step 2

Turn all the stove burner and oven dials to their "off" positions.

Step 3

Set the flashlight on a counter near the stove, aiming the light toward the stove burners and controls for the burners. Skip the light if you can see well without it.

Step 4

Light a long wooden match and hold the flame near the holes located around the center of a burner.

Step 5

Turn the dial for the same stove burner to a low setting while holding the match in place. Act quickly to light the burner before the match burns down toward your fingers.

Step 6

Remove the match from the burner area once the burner lights. The burner should light within a few seconds. Blow out the match.

Avoid the Oven

Although the burners on an electric-ignition gas stove may be lit by hand, the cooking flame inside the oven works differently on models from the 1990s and newer. As a safety feature, these require electricity to light and cannot be lit by hand -- so skip the oven and cook on the stove burners instead until the power returns.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My Dad has one, I ♥️ him very much, but he is not tidy.

I have the glass top cleaner, nothing makes it look nice.

John, do you make house calls?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

thanks @Marp 

just not sure why we have not been able to get this to light in a power outage.

will keep these notes handy. Smiley Happy

defiinitely going back to a flat glass cooktop though whenever we need a new cooktop. so much easier to care for than this......

https://kitchenaid-h.assetsadobe.com/is/image/content/dam/global/kitchenaid/cooking/cooktop/images/hero-KCGS550ESS.tif?$ka-product-thumbnail$

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Cerama Bryte, get it at Walmart. You can also buy a pkg of the Cerama Bryte special little sponges to use with it. 

Dont be afraid to take a knife to anything stuck on the ceramic. When i first got mine, I got an egg on it while it was hot and it stuck right to it, I panicked, I called Frigidaire CS to ask what to do, and the rep said to scrape it off with a knife, and dont be afraid, it wont harm the surface. My range is now 18 years old, and I am still using the knife to it, looks just fine, like new. 

Honored Contributor

I have a black ceramic cooktop also...Cerambrite is the best to use to keep it clean and make those greasy-looking marks go away. I buy it at Home Depot or Lowe’s; you can prob get it online via Amazon. It is a thick white lotion...you put it on then rub it in...let it dry to a haze, then wipe off. Shiny and no smears on it. I found the bartenders friend too abrasive for my ceramic cooktop. I use a single edge razor blade with a handle to get any burned-on food off before using the cleaner

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife I have cooked on electric stoves 40+years....I cannot imagine switching to gas....when I watch the House Hunters shows everyone wants gas for cooking!

On another note I am envious of your house #3...married 40 years and still in the same house, sigh....I'm gonna die here.  It's a nice, spacious home but I want to move...and since I am dreaming, I am going somewhere not in the midwest!

Trusted Contributor

I spray my black stovetop  with Windex that has vinegar in it.  Have been doing this for quite awhile.  No streaks and it looks great.

Contributor

I have a black glass top stove. I use the BioClean that QVC sells. It works really great! And it gets all of those burned bits around the burners off. It smells great and shines like crazy.