Honored Contributor

Re: Black smooth top stove question

I bought what the Maytag manual said to buy, Affresh.

I first bought a quilted cover to keep it from getting dusty  when not in use.  I bought it from Etsy (she also have a store on Amazon)

I then bought a hard wood cover for it to keep from dropping things on it. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I use the Weiman spray cleaner daily - that cuts any greasy look, and use the Weiman heavy duty liquid stuff if something gets stuck on.

Both available at Walmart

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Bought Amos and Durafiber on HSN. Saw 50 of these cloths for less than $25 the other day. They sell all kinds of Professor Amos products. I bought Amos concentrate when they had a gallon size and a 32oz. bottle(full) came with it. That has been quite awhile back.

Got into "shiny clean" with all my new cars and my race cars. Always gave the "old spit shine" to all my black leather shoes, IE, thanks to the US Army. If it shines, I do my thing.

=^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i really miss my black smooth electric cooktop!

i was encouraged to purchase a gas cooktop with five burners that has very heavy grates. anytime anything is fried or sauteed on it it creates a big mess and i have to remove everything to clean underneath. i was told it would work when my electricity goes out and it doesnt. big mistake and it was expensive.

cannot wait to go back to a smooth cooktop again! i find it a lot easier to maintain.

@sunshine45   I kind of agree. Cooking a messy meal that splatters all over is just awful to clean up. I have a five burner stove that my husband insisted I get but I never use all five burners. When it’s really messy, I put the grates in the dishwasher. But it’s quite the job washing down the whole stove. At my other house I had the smooth cooktop and for me it was easy to wipe clean. 

Honored Contributor

I have 5 burners as well and one is a "bridge" so it really 6 if you use the element between the two burners on the left.

The middle burner is a warming burner that I tried using for mulling spices but it's not warm enough.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

What a bugger to keep clean....I noticed today when the light was hitting it just right what a mess it is....I knew it did not look good but the light hitting it made it look just awful.

I clean it good after every use, it's only 2+years old but it has a greasy look to it....I clean it with dish soap water, rinse it several times then use a micofiber cloth to dry....what else can I do, HELP!

Is this glass ?   You have to be careful what you clean off the 'burned' glass otherwise you can scratch the glass.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I use a kit by Ceramabryte that has a liquid cleaner, small scrubbing cloth and a razor blade in a holder that works great! It gets everything off and my black cooktop looks brand new. Amazon or BBB

Esteemed Contributor

@cantdrive55 wrote:

I use a kit by Ceramabryte that has a liquid cleaner, small scrubbing cloth and a razor blade in a holder that works great! It gets everything off and my black cooktop looks brand new. Amazon or BBB

@cantdrive55   This product came along with my stove top and oven.  DH uses it periodically and everything shines like a mirror.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Thanks so much for the responses....I tried the vinegar because I had that on hand...it did  remove the 'greasy' look to the top.  Unless Walmart carries the stove top polish I will have to wait to purchase that product...Walmart is the only store in town to purchase such items....

It should not be so difficult to clean these stoves...my issue is not dried on food - I take care of that every time I clean up the stove...it was the greasy left over film.

Thanks again.

I agree @Mom2Dogs 

I found it very easy to clean the food, even when I burned it a tad.  Boiling water spillovers were a mess too.  But it wasn't that. 

I had a Scotch handle cleaner and these special pads to stick on the handle.... that got almost everything off.

Sometimes, DH need to scrape a wee bit.

The film was the problem AND every speck of dust or dog hair showed up MAGNIFIED during the day time.  It looked like I never cleaned it!

My first glass top had speckles in the black which helped hide the dust.  My second was a mirrored black that tortured me every day!

SO...built house # 3 and told myself I MUST have gas.  A huge 5 burner.

I HATE IT.  It is actually easy to clean but I hate cooking on gas.

I guess this dog was too old to teach new tricks.

I miss my electric terribly!

LOL

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i really miss my black smooth electric cooktop!

i was encouraged to purchase a gas cooktop with five burners that has very heavy grates. anytime anything is fried or sauteed on it it creates a big mess and i have to remove everything to clean underneath. i was told it would work when my electricity goes out and it doesnt. big mistake and it was expensive.

cannot wait to go back to a smooth cooktop again! i find it a lot easier to maintain.

@sunshine45 . With my gas cooktop I need to light it with a match when the electricity goes out. 

we thought ours would work like that also, but has what they call an "electronic ignition" on it. you cannot light it if the power is off. have tried so many times.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein