Honored Contributor

Black hole shreds star - NASA discovery

[ Edited ]

Astronomers have discovered evidence of a "supermassive" black hole shredding a star that got too close.  The "shredding" took about four months:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/galex/galex20120502.html

CNN has a more interesting simulation:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/10/22/black-hole-destroys-star-orig-zc-vstan.cnn-nasa

The black hole's mass is estimated to be that of several million suns.  That is said to be similar to the size of our Milky Way's black hole.

The star was in a galaxy 2.7 billion light-years away.

Black holes heading for 'massive collision' Rachel Crane nasa orig_00000000.jpg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Black hole shreds star - NASA discovery

I spend a LOT of my free time ambling through all the space info available to me .... and there's a lot. It is all amazing to me , both in what may be out beyond our solar system, and what isn't out beyond earth within our solar system. Makes earth all the more amazing ... the more you know about the power and the violence of the forces that govern our very existence, and it shatters the illusion of any control we have over most of it.

Esteemed Contributor

Not enough is known about all the types of black holes.  Scary stuff.  I wouldn't want for one or two rouges out there to wander nearby and start doing us in.  We are vulnerable. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Space is being shaken up! *lol*

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Not enough is known about all the types of black holes.  Scary stuff.  I wouldn't want for one or two rogues out there to wander nearby and start doing us in.  We are vulnerable. 

Hi @Puzzle Piece

I think that would be an amazing premise for a movie.  I trust that we aren't in any current danger, at least for many lifetimes to come.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Very interesting!    Thanks for posting this, Homegirl.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

Hubby and I love stuff like this- thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess it's something like a very hot tornado, forever swirling and shredding anything that gets near it.  Yes, we don't have much control over mother nature, here on earth or elsewhere.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fascinating stuff about which I know next to nothing--this topic needs the commentary of OneWhiteSparrow. If you are reading, OWS, please come back.

Trusted Contributor

I see that OWS has been posting on the Hurricane Patricia thread. Glad to see her. I find her analogy of the eye of the hurricane to a black hole intriguing.