Respected Contributor

Re: Bitter disappointment today

@fairydogmother 

I sincerely feel for you - disappointment not to see DD along with missing a dream vacation.  Easier said than done, but maybe counting blessings will help.  This Covid is a beast we have to learn to live with.  Planning will always have a ?  mark.  I think the strain that is rampant now Is spreading easily among vaccinated and even careful people. My neighbors have been fighting it for a week now at home - as she put it, they are rocking in their chairs coughing at each other.  Take care of yourselves - wishing you speedy recovery.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry you are sick and have to cancel your trip, but glad you didn't get sick after you started the cruise; that would have been awful to be cooped up in a cabin instead of recovering at home. How are you feeling now? Do you know if it is the newest variant? I am hearing that the vax and boosters aren't offering much protection for it. I hope you feel better soon and it is great your daughter will be able to continue with her cruise plans with her friend. Take extra good care of yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@elated wrote:

@fairydogmotherI am sorry about your trip. I would contact my doctor and let them know. They can prescribe a medication that will help you recover faster. Take care.

I did that. The medical asst said they don't prescribe anything for Covid. 

I don't understand that. Paxlovid is one treatment that I know of, I believe it's a pill. Has to be taken within a certain timeframe of onset. It is for people in high risk groups, if your age or medical issues qualify you for that.

It's emergency use authorized. One issue with it is rebound symptoms.

@fairydogmother 

There is a drug you can take within 4 days.  If you are interested you should contact your Doc in the AM,  I think you are within the time frame.

Sorry about your trip. I had a much dreamed of trip to Morocco which I delayed,  and delayed, and finally gave up on.  😢

@Greeneyedlady21   Good call.   Several friends have taken it w/o rebound.

guess it depends on the person.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I am so disappointed for you. Gone are the days where we can book a vacation and feel confident that we will be able to go. Like all I am so over this virus.

I spent the 4th of July at my brothers house. I to had a vacation booked for later in the week. Two days before I left, my SIL calls me to tell me that both her and my nephew have tested positive for COVID. My SIL who is vaccinated and boosted, was actually thinking that it was a summer cold until my nephew who is not vaccinated came down with it, and his symptoms were a lot worse. 

I felt fine and tested myself every day before I left, but I left for my vacation to Seattle, WA and had a wonderful time.  I am also vaccinated and boosted. 

I am a person that loves to travel, I had not been on a plane or vacation in five years.  I know this sounds selfish but I was getting on that darn plane as long as I was not testing positive or showing any symptoms. 

It worked out for me, but when are we going to be able to do things again without this constant sword hanging over us? 

My SIL and nephew have both recovered.

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I am so sorry you are sick and have to cancel your trip, but glad you didn't get sick after you started the cruise; that would have been awful to be cooped up in a cabin instead of recovering at home. How are you feeling now? Do you know if it is the newest variant? I am hearing that the vax and boosters aren't offering much protection for it. I hope you feel better soon and it is great your daughter will be able to continue with her cruise plans with her friend. Take extra good care of yourself.

getting sick during the trip would have been awful. Don't know which strain of the virus I have. Actually feeling better tonight than I did this morning. Symptoms seem to be subsiding. Overall, a 4-5 day illness. Thank you for asking ☺️

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@icezeus I'm so glad you had a great time in Seattle. You are not selfish for wanting to go on your vacation! You did the responsible thing by testing prior to the trip. Totally agree with you on the virus hanging over us like a sword. Hope your fam is doing well now. 
*Suzy

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom  Thanks. I appreciate what you said. I'm trying to keep this in perspective. Everything will work out.  

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@Drythe  I did speak with a doctor today about the antiviral drug. However it is not an appropriate choice for me. First of all because my symptoms are not severe. Secondly because my kidney function doesn't meet the standard set by the manufacturer for safe prescribing. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Very sorry to read of your canceled cruise with your daughter. I is a disappointment not being able to visit with her.  Hope you are back on your feet and feeling better soon. Very happy to read you were vaccinated also.

Respected Contributor

Update: my doorbell rang at 0930 today. It was my daughter and her friend, on their way to the cruise port in Ft Lauderdale. They took a little detour to bring me a care package. Bouquet of flowers, soup, Hagen Das ice cream, containers of fresh raspberries(my fave fruit), and a bunch of Covid test kits. 
They stayed outside and I talked to them from my door way. Lots of distance between us. My little dogs carried on like it was UPS delivery ppl. Haha

Anyhow it was great to see Darcy and so sweet of them to do this for me. Really lifted my spirits. 
physically I'm still sick, coughing and snotty, very fatigued. Drinking lots of fluids. Taking Tylenol and Benadryl which help a lot. I'm sure I'll gradually improve. My symptoms are not severe. 

Harmonize the World