Honored Contributor

Re: Bitter disappointment today

@fairydogmother wrote:

@elated wrote:

@fairydogmotherI am sorry about your trip. I would contact my doctor and let them know. They can prescribe a medication that will help you recover faster. Take care.

I did that. The medical asst said they don't prescribe anything for Covid. 

@fairydogmother    Our state health department is running TV ads about a new drug that lessens the possibi!Its of hospitalization and serious illness.  Must be taken within 5 days of onset of synptoms.  Please check it out.  You med asst was wrong.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There are several different antivirals available two of which are oral. They are best taken within five days of symptom onset. You need to qualify based on age and/or pre-existing medical conditions. You can go through your primary care physician, public health clinic, or sometimes direct through a local pharmacist.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624    There certainly are medications to treat symptoms

Respected Contributor

I called my doctors office again. Was told again that he does not prescribe the new drug for Covid. If I go to urgent care, maybe a provider there would prescribe it. No guarantee. I don't feel like I want to sit in an urgent care waiting room for hours. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   Please call somebody else.  Its possible physicians don't have access to the drug.  Call CVS or Walgrees, your state health department, a hospital ER or urgent care.  It's worth the effort.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't read the replies but wanted to say that I'm sorry you've had not only the disappointment of the cancelled trip but also getting sick. I hope you recover fully and quickly. If it helps a bit, for me there have been times seeming disappointments are actually a blessing in disguise. (ie someone posted here recently of not catching a particular flight that was met by the fire trucks upon landing)

Wishing you better health soon.

Respected Contributor

I did go to urgent care today, mainly because I felt pressured by family and friends. I had a good discussion with the physician. The deal with the Covid antiviral medication is that it is not a one size fits all drug. So many ppl think you just get it prescribed and bam, all is well. Not necessarily. The patient's kidney function has to be within certain parameters for the drug to be taken safely. The patient's signs and symptoms, comorbidities and other risk factors are assessed. In my case, my kidney function is borderline. For me, it isn't worth the risk of taking that drug. Especially since my signs and symptoms, while uncomfortable, aren't likely to worsen, according to the doc. He said I don't look like someone who is going to decompensate. He feels that with OTC products for symptom relief I'll be fine. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

My daughter, son in law and granddaughter went to Disney World in June.They came back on a Friday and by Monday they were all testing positive for Covid. My youngest daughter went to a concert in Chicago and she got Covid in May. All of my family had very mild symptoms. Fever for one day and they a nasty head cold for week.  None of them had chest congestion or breathing problems. All recovered within a week. And all of them said that they were no way as sick as they were when they had the flu.   All of them were vaccinated and some were boosted. Vaccines work. They will not insure that you do not get Covid but they will keep you out of the hospital. At some time we may all come down with Covid but the vaccines will keep us from severe illness and death

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no that’s such a bummer. I hope you will be able to hold her soon.

Respected Contributor

So sorry you have contracted the virus. Prayers for a speedy recovery and that your husband does not get the virus. You and your daughter will get to take that cruise eventually so hang in there and God Bless !