Honored Contributor

Re: Bitter disappointment today

@fairydogmother wrote:

@elated wrote:

@fairydogmotherI am sorry about your trip. I would contact my doctor and let them know. They can prescribe a medication that will help you recover faster. Take care.

I did that. The medical asst said they don't prescribe anything for Covid. 

I don't understand that. Paxlovid is one treatment that I know of, I believe it's a pill. Has to be taken within a certain timeframe of onset. It is for people in high risk groups, if your age or medical issues qualify you for that.

It's emergency use authorized. One issue with it is rebound symptoms.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother - I am so sorry about your trip. How disappointing.  I hope that Covid for you is very mild.  Take care.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@elated wrote:

@fairydogmotherI am sorry about your trip. I would contact my doctor and let them know. They can prescribe a medication that will help you recover faster. Take care.

I did that. The medical asst said they don't prescribe anything for Covid. 

I don't understand that. Paxlovid is one treatment that I know of, I believe it's a pill. Has to be taken within a certain timeframe of onset. It is for people in high risk groups, if your age or medical issues qualify you for that.

It's emergency use authorized. One issue with it is rebound symptoms.

@Greeneyedlady21 - my nephew was prescribed that because of other conditions he has.  My brother in law was not put on the antiviral because the doctor said he wasn't old enough (61) and didn't meet the other criteria.  My sister's doctor put her on Zithromax.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Some people seem to care about something or take it seriously only if it directly affects them. That's their version of Shangri La. You hit the nail on the head.

I can't imagine functioning in the world that way, sadly I have met many people who do and I see it in the world every day.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for the disappointment .  Wish you a fast recovery and hope you can replan to see your daughter soon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry this happened to you, @fairydogmother -- mother-daughter time is precious. There may be a silver lining here: imagine if you'd come down with this on the cruise. That would've been far worse than what you're dealing with safe in your own home.  I do hope that your symptoms ease up soon, that your husband stays covid-free, and that you and your daughter will be able to see each other and maybe even travel together before too long.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   I am very sorry you won't be able to go on the cruise. That is terribly disappointing. You did state that once you got vaccinated you went on with your life as usual.

We started hearing about breakthrough COVID cases as soon as we learned about the the first variant.   We also soon learned that vaxed people can still get COVID and transmit it to others, although the vaxed person may have no symptoms.

I never stopped masking in public places. I always felt the mask requirement in my state was lifted too early, with too much virus still sround so I still always wear a mask in public.  Your post makes me glad I made this decision. Thanks for the reinforcement that I still need to protect myself, and again, sorry about your trip.

Honored Contributor

That's terrible, I can only imagine how disappointed you must be.  My friend and her husband are leaving for a cruise  next week and both are vaccinated and double boosted but scared of something like this so since the end of June, they have been in quarantine at home.  They haven't had a vacation since Summer 2019 and their  doctor suggested they test and then  quarantine for 10 days to avoid a breakthrough Covid infection that would rob them of their vacation.  

Esteemed Contributor

Awwwww, that's a huge disappointment. Especially since you see you daughter so infrequently. Oh man....I'm so sorry to hear that. It sounds like you were so looking forward to it. That's very sweet of you to tell her to take her best friend. Still, I'm sure she's going to miss you very much. 

I hear all the time that people are coming down with Covid, and have been vaccinated and boosted. It just doesn't seem to help.... 

Respected Contributor

I had COVID in early 2020 after going to an urgent care for a shoulder injury. It was much, much more than a cold. I lost 20 pounds, couldn't taste, could barely breathe, and was afraid I was going to die. I was ill for 5 weeks and it took 2-3 weeks after the cough & lung congestion stopped until I knew that my thought processes were working correctly again and until I had enough energy to walk from room to room. Nope, not a cold.