Trusted Contributor

Re: Birthday Gifts for grown children

@esmerelda My son is a total electronics geek, so whenever he upgrades his phone, earphones, iPad, etc....he passes them on to me....which I love and appreciate very much. He wants his old mom to be current with technology...and with how un-techy I am....I think sometimes he regrets that decision....LOL....😊😊because he has to teach me how to use them all.😉😉😉

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 My son truly loves the care packages....I always include treats and goodies he might not buy himself....the one I sent him for Christmas had some kitchen gadgets that he really needed....silicone pot holders, kitchen towels, a couple of scrub daddy’s. I also make his favorite Monster Cookie Bars and Banana Bread. Even a box of microwave popcorn is fun....so many fun ideas...I’ll be anxious to hear what you included in your sons care package.

Honored Contributor

For my daughter's birthdays, I take her out for lunch and then shopping so that she can pick out a gift for herself.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Our daughter will be 36 in a couple of weeks.  We generally give her money, and she and I have a girl’s lunch out.....while my husband watches the grandkids.  We give our SIL money also. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

Eight grandchildren.  Amazon cards and let them pick out what they want.  

Respected Contributor

Our family has wish lists on Amazon. So it is easy to buy a gift that you know they want.

Honored Contributor

That works.  You know your son so you know what pleases him.  My girls are in their early 30's and now that they each have a child and husband of their own,  we don't give them serious birthday gifts.  A pair of silver earrings, a bottle of their favorite cologne, a restaurant gift card, a bottle of wine.  Something I know they will like and appreciate.  I don't give my girls or their  husband's gift cards, other than to a restaurant, because it's like giving cash and they don't need cash.  Also, I like wrapping gifts.  

Trusted Contributor

I realize I am an Odd-ball when it comes to gifts.  As a 40 something adult, I don't need anything for my birthday.  All I need from my parents is a simple Happy Birthday, nothing else.  If someone asked me what I wanted I am really sincere when I say nothing.  If I need something I will buy it for myself.

DH and I don't exchange gifts for birthdays, anniversaries, valentine's day or x-mas.  For birthdays we go out to dinner as a family but that's as far as it goes.  

Esteemed Contributor

I give my son a generous gift card or check & DH & I take him & his girlfriend out to dinner.

During the year if I see something  I know he would like I get it for him too.I call it “a just because gift”.

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ I also get my son just because gifts. It’s always fun to surprise him....he is always so appreciative.😊