Trusted Contributor

Birthday Gifts for grown children

My amazing son turns 43 next week. It was always so easy to buy for him when he was little, but now it’s harder to buy for him. He is an electronics geek, so he buys what he needs or wants in that department. I gave up trying to buy him clothes years ago.😉

So now, I buy him gift cards to his favorite places to eat, grocery gift cards and gas gift cards. Then I make up a big care package filled with homemade cookies and banana bread, some of his favorite candy, some munchies and I even throw in some of his favorite packaged PHO soup. Since it’s cold season, I also put in some cough drops and nighttime cold medicine. He really loves getting the care packages.

Anyway....just thought it might spark some ideas for others.😊😊

Trusted Contributor

Re: Birthday Gifts for grown children

Sounds like you have figured it out.

Honored Contributor

my mom usually gives me a check.....which is ALWAYS appropriate. Smiley Very Happy

a small "something" to open ......usually a piece of jewelry, a scarf, or a handbag.

she lets me choose a place for my birthday dinner.....and cocktails, of course!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I give my 25 year old CASH for his Birthday and Christmas. He has been getting money for his birthday since he was 18.

I prepare 'junk bags' - usually a Trader Joe's brown bag - with junk food and soap, toothpaste, socks, hair bands, cat and dog treats, ect that I find for him and his Girlfriend (and the Fur Kids too).  

They LOVE the bags.  Each bag has something different - never the same and nothing expensive either. 

Honored Contributor

I don't give gifts for birthdays for adults.

We party pretty well for the grandkids.

I am generous to my adult children at Christmas

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma petes People often give others gifts they would like to receive. What kinds of gifts does he give you for your birthday?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@grandma petes  Sounds great!

My son turns 31 next month and I've been at a loss as to what to get him.  He also just gets whatever he needs but I like the idea of a care package...will have to think of some goodies to put into it.

Esteemed Contributor

Some money and clothes with eagles on them. He was 60 last month.

Respected Contributor

I am 58 and my 80 year old dad still gives me cash and something to open. (A top, scarf, haha nail polish, etc). Do we need it, no, but we have a small family and we enjoy it. Also, dinner at our restaurant of choice, yes a cocktail or two also.  He still makes me feel special on my birthday.  My sister and I do the same for him. Not gads of gifts, but something we want or enjoy.

Honored Contributor

my 30 something kids get a crisp $100 bill whether they want them or not! 🤑