Esteemed Contributor
My husband, with every good intention, decided to prepare a sumptuous dinner for my birthday last night. The table was set to perfection, the champagne was chilled, and he had gone to Wegman's for boiled lobster, my favorite. Not being a lobster fan, my husband bought shrimp for himself. I was seated at the table but just as my husband was about to sit down, he realized he had forgotten the bowl of cocktail sauce, which he loves to slather on his shrimp. As hubby was bringing the bowl to the table, his hand slipped and the filled-to-the- brim bowl went flying...over my head, down to my clothes and shoes, onto the white chair where I was seated, splashing onto the white wall, the tablecloth, and finally landing in a blood-spattered-looking pattern onto my just shampooed carpet. I screamed, I cried, and then I ate after I changed clothes and my husband cleaned up the mess. Needless to say, the ambience of the meal changed from romantic evening to slapstick comedy.
Honored Contributor

Re: Birthday Dinner Disaster

Happy birthday - yesterday was my birthday too. Only a few , very special people, get to have that birthday! Sorry about the cocktail sauce.

Respected Contributor

It was a birthday to remember! Your husband sounds like a sweet guy. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

awww what a sweet husband you have.

I dont' get the screaming and crying part. It was not intentional..but glad you were able to enjoy your dinner later and laughed over it..

Happy belated birthday!

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a Lucy and Ricky episode. Nice of your husband to go to the trouble and glad you were able to eventually enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday. Sounds like something that would happen to me! Your husband sounds sweet.

Respected Contributor

What an unintentionally sweet moment......trust me, that was a birthday that you will laugh about and remember for the rest of your life. Next time, save the screaming and crying for something that warrants them and keep the romance by letting DH clean YOU up.......belated Happy Birthday !
Respected Contributor

It's the thought that counts.....lol And now you have a hilariously funny story that you can tell for years and years to come.

Honored Contributor

That was very sweet of your husband. I'll tell you though, I would have found nothing funny about the mess. Maybe years down the road. Years and years. I wouldn't have been mad at him certainly, but I wouldn't have found it funny.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I think your husband sounds wonderful. And, I don't think your birthday was a disaster. Normal life "stuff" just got into the way...as it always does.

Happy belated birthday Vivian!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"