Honored Contributor

Re: Bird nest on porch light

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

You're right to be concerned about a potential fire hazard. Also, birds have fleas, so that's another reason you don't want them by your front door. If you can get to it before they've laid their eggs, just throw the nest away. Even if they've already laid their eggs, the risk of a fire outweighs destroying the nest. IMHO

Wow, that's really mean...

@geegerbee just leave the porch light off until the baby birds fly away.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee 

It will not likely catch fire, Doves nest like this EVERY spring at my house - they love the heat and it's a safe spot.

If you can stand it - it may even bring you joy as it always does for me.

plus..... once those presh lil babies learn to fly - it's all done, finito - they all leave.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal 

YOU ARE MY KINDA HUMAN - HUMANE!

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee 

There are many species that will never use a birdhouse. Of those that do, they'll only use the right house in the right location.

National Wildlife Federation https://www.nwf.org/Magazines/National-Wildlife/2010/Best-Bird-Houses 

Super Contributor

I used to have birds build nests in my silk flower hanging baskets,  If I didn't get to the nest fast enough and it had eggs, I let it go. Big mistake.  Mess all over the porch and the railings.

This year  a bird made a nest on in the wreath on the front door.  We destroyed the nest as there were no eggs in it.  I then placed plastic bags where the nest was to deter the bird from rebuillding.. So far, so good.

We have trees everywhere, including 15 feet from the front door.  The birds can build their nest there.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee if you touch the nest, the parent birds won't come back won't come back.  if there are eggs or baby chicks on the nest, I would leave the nest alone, it won't take long.  if there are no eggs or baby chicks, I supoose they can build a nest elsewhere and it would be safe to remove if it bothers you that much.  How many bird droppings have you had?  Probably not as bad as you imagine.  a nest is not the same as a flock of birds.

Super Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

You're right to be concerned about a potential fire hazard. Also, birds have fleas, so that's another reason you don't want them by your front door. If you can get to it before they've laid their eggs, just throw the nest away. Even if they've already laid their eggs, the risk of a fire outweighs destroying the nest. IMHO

Please, please knock the nest down. My close friend had this happen last year & the house caught fire due to the birds nest. It did $40,000 damage & since he couldn't live in the house his insurance paid for him to stay at a hotel for weeks. Luckily the fire department was very quick to respond & put out the fire or it could have been much worse.

Esteemed Contributor

I have some sort of bird nest over my front porch. I will let it go this year, because it might be too late. When my Gardener that takes care of my back yard comes out next weekend, I am going to ask him to look at it. If no birds are in it, I am going to ask him to take it down. 

Luckily, for me I do not really use my front door. I come in through my garage, but I still do want a nest where it's currently located. 

I am a sucker for animals so I will leave it there if I have no choice. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee ... Same thing happened to me a few years ago. 

My solution... I did have to remove the nest....but for any future nests made on my porch light l put pieces of packaging tape on top of the light. You have to wind the tape around your finger until tape is sticky on both sides then place on porch light. I didn't want to leave the nest there because of risk of a fire. l really need to have my light on when l go out otherwise it's too dark. 

P.S. No eggs were in the nest yet so l really didn't have a choice but to remove the nest. I really needed to use my light! 

Honored Contributor

Update:   The same bird that tried to build a nest on our porch has built a huge, messy nest on top of my windchime!   At least she’s not in our space.