Trusted Contributor

I have 2 bird houses in a little courtyard area, but the stupid birds decided to make a nest by my front door. Every time I open the door the birds fly away. Anyway, I don't look forward to having bird droppings on my front steps, but I am really concerned that the nest might catch fire since the light is on all night. What do you think? Maybe the light gives the birds warmth, but it isn't hot enough to pose a problem. I hate to move the nest since they worked so hard to make it. Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bird nest on porch light

@geegerbee   I've had them nest on top of the light fixture and had wrens build a nest in the wreath on the front door.  Everytime the door opened, off they went.  Very inconvenient for them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've had doves, which aren't the bright things in the world to begin with, start building nests on top of my porch light & also on the rafters on my patio.  When I see them start building, I go out & knock all the twigs & crud down before they get a chance to lay any eggs.  They're fine nesting out in the trees, where they belong, but I don't want them nesting on my house. 

They're messy & yes, I've heard of fires starting from nests on porch lights.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee ... You do have a dilemma and I wish I could help you.  Moving the nest will more than likely confuse the mother bird.  I don't know how you solve problems like this one but I go straight to google when I am unsure about something.  I hope someone helps you and I wouldn't want bird droppings on my front step either.  Good luck to you and the birds. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I have 2 bird houses in a little courtyard area, but the stupid birds decided to make a nest by my front door. Every time I open the door the birds fly away. Anyway, I don't look forward to having bird droppings on my front steps, but I am really concerned that the nest might catch fire since the light is on all night. What do you think? Maybe the light gives the birds warmth, but it isn't hot enough to pose a problem. I hate to move the nest since they worked so hard to make it. Thoughts?

I have problems like this every year. I knock them down as soon as I see them, because they will make a big mess. I live with trees and woods all around me and they can find a tree.

Respected Contributor

You're right to be concerned about a potential fire hazard. Also, birds have fleas, so that's another reason you don't want them by your front door. If you can get to it before they've laid their eggs, just throw the nest away. Even if they've already laid their eggs, the risk of a fire outweighs destroying the nest. IMHO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

I had the same thing a couple of different years and just left that light off - nature is great and I didn't want the light to overheat them.  The mama may not come back if she smells human touch on that nest.  Babies will be born soon since we're heading into May.  You can remove the nest once the babies have flown away.  

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I've had doves, which aren't the bright things in the world to begin with, start building nests on top of my porch light & also on the rafters on my patio.  When I see them start building, I go out & knock all the twigs & crud down before they get a chance to lay any eggs.  They're fine nesting out in the trees, where they belong, but I don't want them nesting on my house. 

They're messy & yes, I've heard of fires starting from nests on porch lights.

@aubnwa01 You can say that again! We once had them building a nest on the rungs of a ladder in our carport. I'm sure our friendly neighborhood raccoon would have loved that!

Valued Contributor

I"ve had robins make a nest on our front porch light. I was such a pushover, I didn't turn the porch light on at night because I thought it was too bright for them. Lol

Once the birds were born they didn't stay long and never came back to build the nest there.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee   Not all birds use nest boxes.  The ones that built over your porch light are probably one of those birds.  Why don't you just leave that light off while the nest has eggs and babies?  When the babies leave the nest you can knock it down and clean your porch.

If a bird starts to build one there next year, just knock it down as they're building.  They'll give up on using that site.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau