Honored Contributor

I am looking for large  feeder for sunflower seed, i do not want to keep going out during cold  weather,so bird lovers i need recommendation.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bird feeders

[ Edited ]

My husband and I have two of these...Be sure to get the two-sided one, as more birds can feed from it...We use a mixture of fruit & nuts and sunflower seeds...We get a lovely variety of birds.

eta:..I meant to add that we were able to get ours from our local Agway store and they also ordered one for us...These feeders are very durable....They come with a pole or you can also hang from a shephard's hook which is what we do...There are tension adjusters on each side which are very easy to adjust and the feeders are also squirrel-proof.

1. Absolute II Cardinal Bird Feeder

best feeders for cardinals

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had 2 of this feeder for years - and they are strong - and squirrel proof b/c it has a spring (you set the strength) so if "S" gets on it - the perch snaps down hiding the seeds.

However,,,,,,,,,,,not wanting to go out in the cold?  Birds eat a lot in the winter & they come from near and far for food.  I have to replenish mine every day - blizzard conditions - even twice.  Don't start something (feeding birds) unless you plan to continue it till Spring.  It's NOT fair to the birds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am looking for large  feeder for sunflower seed, i do not want to keep going out during cold  weather,so bird lovers i need recommendation.

@goldensrbest 

My sister found some nice bird feeders at Home Depot and Lowes.... She feeds the Cardinals sunflower seeds....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   No matter how large the bird feeder you will have to keep going outside in the cold.  I have one larger than the one pictured, and I have to fill it about every week and a half to two weeks.  It isn't fair to the birds to let it get empty and not refill it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

We feed the birds year round,it's so nice to see them all.  I have one feeder but the FAT squirrels are always swinging on it and bringing it down.  I mostly feed the birds on the ground,I have an area off the patio under an evergreen I spread the seeds at.  We also put out woodpecker blocks of suet and seed. We have a squirrel blocker dome over it otherwise they'd make off with that too.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I've had 2 of this feeder for years - and they are strong - and squirrel proof b/c it has a spring (you set the strength) so if "S" gets on it - the perch snaps down hiding the seeds.

However,,,,,,,,,,,not wanting to go out in the cold?  Birds eat a lot in the winter & they come from near and far for food.  I have to replenish mine every day - blizzard conditions - even twice.  Don't start something (feeding birds) unless you plan to continue it till Spring.  It's NOT fair to the birds.

I feed them all last winter,some times twice a day,NOT STARTING SOMETHING, seems you are.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest - Have you tried Yankee Droll Bird Feeders? They have one that holds 3 lbs of seed and either 6 or 8 feeding stations. Think its called Big Top Bird Feeder

Honored Contributor

I will and have feed them all winter, please take notice every one ,looking for A LARGE FEEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@goldensrbest   No matter how large the bird feeder you will have to keep going outside in the cold.  I have one larger than the one pictured, and I have to fill it about every week and a half to two weeks.  It isn't fair to the birds to let it get empty and not refill it.

I KNOW THAT.