Honored Contributor

Re: Bird Nest in Door Wreath

A bird built a nest in my wreath years ago when we had teenagers.

DS's friends visited, and she flew in.

I told them to be quite (it was night.)  I turned out the house lights, and turned ON the outside lights.  The bird flew outside.

Super Contributor

I have had that happen.  In spring I crumple up a plastic grocery bag and place it behind and in the wreath to deter nest building. The birds I have don't like the texture and I haven't had any further problems.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why is birds building a nest in your wreath a "bad" thing??!!   They need a place to live too!   I put up a large flowered wreath on my porch every spring-summer, and every year the finches build a nest in it.  They don't bother me and I don't bother them.  Everybody's happy.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

Have you considered spraying it with insecticide? Bird nests can be infested with hordes of tiny fleas that will jump onto you if you get close enough. Also, I don't think birds like shiny or reflective items. Maybe you could place some mirror-like pieces on the wreath to shoo them away. Good luck! 

@Eileen in Virginia 

What a horrible suggestion, just poison the birds, huh????

If having a stupid wreath on your door vs. the life of living creatures is your priority, I feel bad for you.

Remove the wreath for awhile and they will build elsewhere, no need to kill them with insecticide.

@KingstonsMom 

ITA What a horrible suggestion...

@Spurt @KingstonsMom  Of course I didn't mean for her to spray the birds! If she had a chance to spray the wreath after removing the nest, the smell might keep the birds from building another nest in her wreath. 

@Eileen in Virginia 

Just spraying the wreath components will leave behind a poisonous residue, once the 'smell' dissipates.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I had a robin build a nest on my deck twice in the same spot for two years in a row. I left it alone and watched her raise her families. My sweet golden would sit and watch as the mama flew away in search of food. My golden would guard the nest and each day she would go close to it and sniff it to make sure everything was alright. The mama robin wasn't bothered by my dog. I really think the mama robin made her nest right there b/c she new there was a nice dog living here that would protect her and her babies. Some say birds choose to go near where dogs live b/c they keep the cats away. It was so much fun watching them grow and fly away.Heart

Trusted Contributor

I did not read every post so if this was already mentioned then I am confirming that it works.

I had a nest in my wreath, this only applies to wreaths with wood like branches in the back.

I did not know until it was happening.

I wondered why where the birds always on my porch when I opened the door then they would fly away.

I googled and a realtor posted the remedy

Buy plastic snakes and tuck into your wreath, put on on the top if it can be hidden from view.

The birds will never build a nest again.

I know it is unbelievable but it works

Amazon sells various versions for this purpose.

I purchased the Brand name -- K I C K O     14 inch Assorted rainbow snakes for 9.99.

I put about 3 in each wreath.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I took down the wreath until the nest building season is over Smiley Happy  Last year when I bought this wreath it was in the Summer and I put

it right on the door with no issues. 

One reason I dont want a birdie nest in it is due to how easy it would be for a bird to get into the house when I open the door!

Plus dont want squirrels or other critters around. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller