Honored Contributor

When I let my dog out this morning I heard a ruckus in the downspout.  There was chirping, too.  I was so upset thinking the bird was stuck in there.  I called someone who came over immediately.  By the time we got back there the bird was gone.  I'm so glad he was able to get out.  I have Gutter Guards, but there was a teeny tiny place the bird was able to get in.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bird In Downspout (Got Out)

That happened to me last year. Panicked I looked like a cartoon character running around. No one was here but me, couldn't  go up ladder, started shaking drainpipe, when in the house to get something, didn't hear anything anymore. He either got out, or he died. Hoping he got out with all the rain we've had I assume I would have found his carcass if he died by now.

Honored Contributor

I've had chipmunks in a downspout before.  They can make a ruckus!

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

That happened to me last year. Panicked I looked like a cartoon character running around. No one was here but me, couldn't  go up ladder, started shaking drainpipe, when in the house to get something, didn't hear anything anymore. He either got out, or he died. Hoping he got out with all the rain we've had I assume I would have found his carcass if he died by now.

@willomenia  I'm sure he got out.  The downspout would have clogged the next time it rained if it didn't.  I know what you mean about panicking.  I did too!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

There was a bird that somehow got in the duct coming from my kitchen stove exhaust fan that goes up to the rooftop. There was a lot of noise and black feathers coming down from the vent. I had to disassemble the fan and disconnect it from the vent and when I did the bird came flying into my kitchen. I was panicked and didn't know what to do. The poor bird was frantically flying all around. I ended up opening my kitchen door and thankfully it flew out.  whew!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There was a bird that somehow got in the duct coming from my kitchen stove exhaust fan that goes up to the rooftop. There was a lot of noise and black feathers coming down from the vent. I had to disassemble the fan and disconnect it from the vent and when I did the bird came flying into my kitchen. I was panicked and didn't know what to do. The poor bird was frantically flying all around. I ended up opening my kitchen door and thankfully it flew out.  whew!

@SilleeMee  That would have been quite the sight!  I would have definitely been panicking while that was going on.  Glad the bird got out.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

A big sigh of relief from everyone who read even just the subject line!

I hate it when creatures are in distress.  All too often we are somewhat helpless.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee

A few years ago I was home alone and heard some soft rapid noises coming from the great room.  There in the removable glass fireplace was a robin who had “ dropped in “ from the chimney.  Then it hit the screen at flew out into the room.  As it flew around, wherever it landed, it left a little mess.  Somehow it slipped off the mouth of a large vase and fell in.  I put a book over it.  DH came home soon thereafter and released it outside.

Moral of story: put a protective screen over flues !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

A few years ago I was home alone and heard some soft rapid noises coming from the great room.  There in the removable glass fireplace was a robin who had “ dropped in “ from the chimney.  Then it hit the screen and flew out into the room.  As it flew around, wherever it landed, it left a little mess.  Somehow it slipped off the mouth of a large vase and fell in.  I put a book over it.  DH came home soon thereafter and released it outside.

Moral of story: put a protective screen over flues !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

A bird in the downspout....Hmmmm.... how many is that worth in the bush?   Smiley Happy