Respected Contributor

I was unaware that many states in the U.S. are having a bird flu outbreak. This is apparently still primarily among the birds themselves. I did see that bird feeding is discouraged. It seems attracting large numbers of wild birds to one specific locale could spread the disease.

I think some time ago we had a discussion how the bird feeders could transmit disease to humans when being filled. Feeding birds by hand was highly discouraged. 

Respected Contributor

This makes me sad. I have a flock of birds that wait for me to get up every morning to put out their breakfast. Then I sit with my cup of coffee to watch. It starts my day with a smile. I haven't heard of it being an issue in my location, yet, but I better watch for reports.

Just this morning, a neighbor texted that she found a dead hummingbird on her feeder this morning. Just sitting there like it had frozen in place, dead. In all my years, of feeding hummers, I've never heard of that. 

Honored Contributor

Good grief!  If its not one thing, its another.  What'll we do if we can't eat chicken and can't afford beef?  Beans 3X a day?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Geez,...our plate is already full.  I'm just not going to worry about the birds.  But @On It I do appreciate your post keeping us informed.

@Kachina624   I love beans.....especially in burritos, tostados, salads....yup, I guess I could eat them three times a day!🌮🥙👍🏼

Honored Contributor

On the news ,they said take down your bird feeders,to protect the birds fron gathering, if you eat beans 3 X a time a day,get some gas x!!!!!Woman Very Happy

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Oh great. Now we're going to get people proudly trying to get and spread bird flu. Just what we need. "No one can tell me what to do! You're all afraid of birds!" Okay Tweety.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I watched a TV interview last week with a local woman who raises chickens and sells her fresh eggs in this county.  The interview was to help consumers understand the high price of eggs going into the Easter holiday.  She sells her eggs for $4 a dozen, and said that price will jump if/when bird flu hits local flocks.  It is expected to.  

Respected Contributor

I watch lots of homesteaders that have chickens on YouTube, whole flocks have been wiped out...it's been going on for weeks.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Oh great. Now we're going to get people proudly trying to get and spread bird flu. Just what we need. "No one can tell me what to do! You're all afraid of birds!" Okay Tweety.

Oh, please! So ridiculous!

Respected Contributor

It's safe to eat well cooked chicken and other poultry.  The heat kills the virus.  Just don't hang around chicken coops too much.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~