Honored Contributor

A Billy Graham crusade was the last program I watched on TV with my mom before she passed away.

I always loved the music and the altar calls....RIP

Honored Contributor

@ms traditionalwrote:

advisor to many presidents, admired by Martin Luther King, they say he preached to over 215 million people - and never a hint of scandal.  

@ms traditional    Well.....I read this on the NBC News website:

"Still, Graham's reputation was not without controversy. It was rumored in the 1990s that he had been caught on tape agreeing with anti-Semitic comments made by then-President Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. Graham vehemently denied that he had, until the tapes were made public in 2002.

The Jewish ''stranglehold has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain,'' Graham said, according to a 2002 New York Times article. Graham, 83 at the time, apologized for the remarks."

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  Precisely why I wasn’t a fan!!  I’m the proud daughter of a holocaust survivor. 

Respected Contributor

I remember when I was growing up and very young in the 70’s that my mom would have him on tv if we were not able to make it to church for whatever reason. The things I remember most about him was his calmness and humbleness. As I got older, I continued to watch him with my mom. 

IMO he was a wonderful man. Sometimes people seem to forget that even preachers, evangelist, etc are still human and make mistakes. He was genuine and a beautiful Christian. He will be missed, but he said it best, 

“My home is in Heaven. I’m just traveling through this world.” 

Respected Contributor

Re: Billy Graham has died

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

i know about remarks supposedly made in 1972.  and his apology which was accepted by leaders at the time.

isn't it also important to look at his life in this vein thereafter, including strong support of Israel long before it was fashionable and extending until his death -- as well as his decisive stand against church attempts at conversion?  i think so.

i'll leave judgment to Another.

re controversy i really was referring to the problems that have plagued the televangelistic community over the year, just to be clear.

Honored Contributor

@Tyakwrote:

@ValuSkrwrote:

He met with every president since Harry Truman - most recently Obama in 2010.  I don't know if he met with the current president but rather doubt it.

Yeah, 98 year olds aren't usually taking many trips.

No need to take trips...they come to you.

Too bad that opportunity was missed.

“(2010).....became the 12th president to meet with the famed evangelist — but the first to do so at Graham's mountaintop home in Montreat, NC, a rambling house built from the remnants of log cabins that Ruth Graham salvaged more than half a century ago, and where Billy Graham has lived ever since.”

Trusted Contributor

@Pearleewrote:

@ms traditionalwrote:

advisor to many presidents, admired by Martin Luther King, they say he preached to over 215 million people - and never a hint of scandal.  

"Still, Graham's reputation was not without controversy. It was rumored in the 1990s that he had been caught on tape agreeing with anti-Semitic comments made by then-President Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. Graham vehemently denied that he had, until the tapes were made public in 2002.

The Jewish ''stranglehold has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain,'' Graham said, according to a 2002 New York Times article. Graham, 83 at the time, apologized for the remarks."

Maybe he can have that conversation with Jesus when he reaches the pearly gates.  Unbelievably stupid of the man. 

Respected Contributor

It is too bad that his son has politicized religion instead of trying to remain neutral as his father did.

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmomwrote:

@Pearleewrote:

@ms traditionalwrote:

Maybe he can have that conversation with Jesus when he reaches the pearly gates.  Unbelievably stupid of the man. 

I don’t trust a person who says one thing in private & another in public.And when he gets caught he apologizes. The apology was to save face. I believe he spoke his true heart when he thought he wouldn’t get caught!!  JMO

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmomwrote:

@Pearleewrote:

@ms traditionalwrote:

**************  No, Jesus will say to him...."well done thy good and faithful servant".  One human error (that he more than made up for) will have already been forgiven.

Ask the Rabbi's and the leaders of Israel what a tremendous role he ended up being in the Jewish Christian relations and the honors that have been bestowed upon him by the Jewish people themselves.  Better yet....look it up.  I think you might be shocked.