Trusted Contributor

Re: Billed for being a no show at wedding

NYC Susan wrote:
ROMARY 1 wrote:
Hi, Lilac!  Haven't seen you for quite a while!  Reminds me of friends, many years ago, who were invited to a salmon dinner at someone's house.  As they were leaving, they were asked for money for the dinner. They paid, of course, but were shocked; hadn't ever heard of that type of custom or whatever. 

This reminds me of something similar that happened to my cousin.  (I've posted this here once before, a few years ago.)

She was living in LA at the time, Thanksgiving was coming, and she was kind of lonely for her family in NY.  She knew the wife of a very famous celebrity chef (I won't say who, but he is on TV all the time and you all know who he is.)  The chef & his wife invited my cousin to join their family for Thanksgiving, and she gratefully accepted.  She arrived with an expensive bottle of wine and joined them, their family, and a few of their friends for a wonderful Thanksgiving feast.  As the evening started to wind down, they were each presented with a bill for the dinner.  She was completely shocked,  but of course she paid.  It was a lot of money too, far more than she ever would have been willing to pay if she had known.

I have never viewed this chef the same way since, and every time I see him I think about my cousin & how awful that was.

@NYC Susan ....Did the Chef's name rhyme with Huck? I know, you won't mention.  I am just being nosy...  Lol 

Esteemed Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

My father & I actually have a relationship in which we do joke a lot.  My entire familly is that way.  But I don't see how that has anything to do with what we're talking about. 

I still think what this man said wasn't nice.  Saying that the money he spent on his daughter's wedding was a total waste is not a nice thing to say.  And that's what he said with his analogy about driving a Rolls Royce off a cliff.  That's complaining, no matter who he said it to and no matter how funny he thought it was.  If he felt that way, he shouldn't have spent that much money.

Only people who really, truly have no problem spending that amount of money (for a wedding or anything else) should actually do it.

Agree to disagree!

Maybe this was a case of "Happy Wife - Happy Life"

I agree - It very likely might have been!  My point, though, is that it was classless to complain about how much money he spent.  And to make a lame joke to friends at the wedding.  If my husband (or father or anyone) does something to make me happy, I think it's much nicer if he acts as though it was his pleasure to do it.  "Happy Wife - Happy Life" to me means giving her what she wants.  With a smile.

JMO, of course!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

This wasn't a friendship. This is FAMILY.  Was the husband's cousin who sent the bill.

So whether a 'friendship' was ruined, a family was exposed to all this.  (Other cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents to both perhaps, etc.)

A friendship, you can walk away from, family is forever.

The bill recipient could've handled this so much more diplomatically than having news crews parked outside on the street.

Hope she enjoyed her 15 mins. of 'fame'.

I agree.  And for all we know, the whole thing could have been made up.  People do lots of things in an effort to get their 15 minutes.

I work in television, and I see it all the time.  Two people work together to plan some kind of feud or problem, and then pretend that one had wronged the other.  Before TV court shows changed the way they do things, there were lots of cases where the breach of contract or whatever was totally made up by two people who just wanted to be on television.

I'm not saying that's necessarily what happened here, but I doubt very much that this story is what it seems.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

When you use multiple quotes, it's easy to edit to avoid the big blanks in the middle of your posts.  There are numerous posts on this thread that look like big white holes.

I apologize to those who see big white holes.  I'm one of the posters who has posted & used multiple quotes.  However, I see all of the quotes - not big white holes - and I was unaware that other people here are seeing something different.   I've never seen big white holes here, or blank spaces, or anything like that.  I see all of the quotes.

I'll try to keep your advice in mind!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan ....Did the Chef's name rhyme with Huck? I know, you won't mention.  I am just being nosy...  Lol 

I'm so sorry.  I really can't say.  But I understand why you asked.  I tend to be nosy about such things too!

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

My father & I actually have a relationship in which we do joke a lot.  My entire familly is that way.  But I don't see how that has anything to do with what we're talking about. 

I still think what this man said wasn't nice.  Saying that the money he spent on his daughter's wedding was a total waste is not a nice thing to say.  And that's what he said with his analogy about driving a Rolls Royce off a cliff.  That's complaining, no matter who he said it to and no matter how funny he thought it was.  If he felt that way, he shouldn't have spent that much money.

Only people who really, truly have no problem spending that amount of money (for a wedding or anything else) should actually do it.

Agree to disagree!

Maybe this was a case of "Happy Wife - Happy Life"

I agree - It very likely might have been!  My point, though, is that it was classless to complain about how much money he spent.  And to make a lame joke to friends at the wedding.  If my husband (or father or anyone) does something to make me happy, I think it's much nicer if he acts as though it was his pleasure to do it.  "Happy Wife - Happy Life" to me means giving her what she wants.  With a smile.

JMO, of course!

ITA! IMO, people like him who mention the exorbitant cost of a wedding are BRAGGARTS!