Honored Contributor

Re: Billed for being a no show at wedding

@Danky wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Danky wrote:

The most shocking thing about this thread is that people consider $76/couple 

a lot of money for a wedding reception..........was it held in the basement of McDonald's ? 

I provided the venue ( my yard ) for a friend's daughter's wedding this summer.

It cost them nothing.......however, if you figured the cost of all reception expenses and divided by the number of guests, the cost was $452 PER GUEST.

They did not expect each guest to offset the cost with a comparable gift but they certainly expected that every effort be made to attend if the RSVP was returned with a yes.( Invited NON-responders were refused admittance, by security, at the gate.)

$452 per guest is outrageous. Let's say there were 100 guests, that would be $45,000! Why not elope and use that money for the down payment on a house? Or completely refurnish a house if they already have one. Or, or, or . . . I must truly be behind the times because spending that kind of money on a wedding is ridiculous. Unless the parents are gazillionaires and have to keep up a public image.

Actually, there were 158 guests. The wedding/reception costs were approximately $115,000....that did not include the festivities prior or the honeymoon.

It was the wedding the bride wanted. It was a wedding that her parents could afford. There is no "keeping up an image" involved and, I can assure you, they will not be living in a refrigerator box outfitted with used furniture....LOL

Ridiculous for one day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Danky wrote:

a lot of money for a wedding reception..........was it held in the basement of McDonald's ? 

It cost them nothing.......however, if you figured the cost of all reception expenses and divided by the number of guests, the cost was $452 PER GUEST.

They did not expect each guest to offset the cost with a comparable gift but they certainly expected that every effort be made to attend if the RSVP was returned with a yes.( Invited NON-responders were refused admittance, by security, at the gate.)

I don't think totaling all expenses and dividing that number by the number of guests is an accurate way to determine how much was spent on each guest.  You would have had flowers and music and the rest regardless of whether there were fifty guests for a hundred guests.  We're discussing meal costs here.  Regardless of that, $76 for two meals is still dirt cheap.

DITTO!

Frequent Contributor

Wow, just WOW, is what I have to say. I thought I had heard everything and apparently I haven't. That is the epitome of rude and tacky. Does the "wonderful" bride and groom realize that there are circumstances beyond people's control? What if a guest had a medical emergency and couldn't make it due to that? I suppose they charged those people too. Unbelievable!!  Smiley Mad

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@oceanjade wrote:

That happened at our wedding. Three people RSVP'd that they were coming and then 'no shows' with feeble excuses but I never thought of sending them a bill though I would have liked to. Our 'per person' meal was much higher than theirs unfortunately. But it was very rude.

I had an entire table of the 'wealthy'; side of  my ex's family not show up at mine!  His family idolized them so whatever last minute excuse they might have given  was fine in their eyes.  As disrespectful as I felt it was (& I didn't share those thoughts - my MIL was difficult enough as it was!)  I  viewed it as part of the expense of having a big wedding. A thousand dollars  (+++)  later... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

I think 76.00 for 2 meals at a wedding reception would be a very nice reception and it wouldn't be at the basement of a Mcdonalds.  

I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in and what you consider a nice meal...........In the NYC area, when I take the grands out for breakfast, it is over $20 per person. 

At least!!! Please tell me where you can get  a nice breakfast out in NYC for $20!! 

Valued Contributor

Billing a guest for cost, no matter How Much is....

TACKY  TACKY   TACKY!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

I think 76.00 for 2 meals at a wedding reception would be a very nice reception and it wouldn't be at the basement of a Mcdonalds.  

I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in and what you consider a nice meal...........In the NYC area, when I take the grands out for breakfast, it is over $20 per person. 

At least!!! Please tell me where you can get  a nice breakfast out in NYC for $20!! 

On the weekends you are paying for the price of bunch, around $20 + per person .  IHOP/Denny's is even around $10 for drinks/decent breakfast/tip.  

Trusted Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Danky wrote:

$452 per guest is outrageous. Let's say there were 100 guests, that would be $45,000! Why not elope and use that money for the down payment on a house? Or completely refurnish a house if they already have one. Or, or, or . . . I must truly be behind the times because spending that kind of money on a wedding is ridiculous. Unless the parents are gazillionaires and have to keep up a public image.

Actually, there were 158 guests. The wedding/reception costs were approximately $115,000....that did not include the festivities prior or the honeymoon.

It was the wedding the bride wanted. It was a wedding that her parents could afford. There is no "keeping up an image" involved and, I can assure you, they will not be living in a refrigerator box outfitted with used furniture....LOL

Ridiculous for one day!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the OPINION of those who can't afford an expensive wedding.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

This is something private between two families and that is how it should of stayed, Private.

If I valued my friend, if I had RSVP and couldn't go, then I would pay the bill and move on.

And for the rest of the story....................................