Respected Contributor

Billed for being a no show at wedding

Couple is billed the cost of 2 meals for not showing up at friend's wedding.

Jessica Baker told KARE-TV that she and her husband received a $75.90 bill after missing the wedding that they had originally planned to attend earlier this year. The couple’s babysitter — Baker’s mother — fell through, which prompted the change of plans.

Remember how I said sometimes stuff happens? Here is a real-life example!

“The invoice arrived in the mail yesterday,” Baker told the NBC affiliate. “My first reaction was just, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. You’ve got to be kidding me.'”

“And then, when I read it, the whole thing, I just kind of laughed and had to call up my husband and go, ‘Uh, our friends sent us this bill for not making it to their wedding.’ And we kind of had a good laugh about it.”

The bill covered the cost of two meals, plus tax and a service charge, according to the station.

Honored Contributor

Re: Billed for being a no show at wedding

I would mail the bill back.

Esteemed Contributor

Ridiculous.  I would totally ignore their bill.

Honored Contributor

The epitome of rudeness.

Trusted Contributor

If I were that brde or groom,  I would have been embarrassed to send that out.  In fact, the thought to bill someone for not coming would never have even occurred to me.

Esteemed Contributor

So, who alerted the media to this? Did the no-show post the "bill" on fb?

Methinks there's a whole other side to this story that's she's not telling, because it would not reflect well on her...

Respected Contributor

I too would be embarrassed to send out such a bill.  Tacky and thoughtless.  Stuff happens!  Every wedding has no shows for various reasons.   

Honored Contributor

So does the bride contract with a couple of 'goons' to collect from those who don't pay up?

Respected Contributor

Not only would I send the bill back, but I'd be tempted to return their wedding gift to the store.  Assuming they hadn't sent one on ahead.

Respected Contributor

I have heard of this before.  Also brides who keep track of the price of a gift compared to the cost of a meals at reception.