Contributor

Re: Bill and Giuliana Rancic surrogate has miscarriage

I don't even know who these folks are, but I'm sorry for their loss.

Respected Contributor

On 6/3/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 6/2/2014 WenGirl42 said:
On 6/2/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Guiliana and Bill had a gestational carrier, not a surrogate, although the media keeps interchanging the terms.

I see nothing wrong with someone wanting their own biological child. And if that's what they want, it's their business. I see nothing wrong with it and I see nothing icky about the situation and quite honestly, I don't give a rip what the Catholic church thinks about it and I'm Catholic.

I am very curious about your stance here, given your sig. I'm not trying to challenge you. I just find it interesting that you are such an advocate of animal adoption but you don't see the parallel with human baby adoption. Can you clarify? Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

I don't have any children and never wanted any. I personally do not understand a couple putting a woman's body through what some go through to attempt to have a biological baby. I don't understand putting yourself through the emotional roller coaster either.

I can say sitting here now typing this, that if I had wanted children and couldn't have them, I would have adopted. But I'm not in the situation so maybe if children were that important to me, I would feel differently about wanting a biological child.

But I don't think it's fair for others to judge what someone chooses to do as far as having a child. That is a very personal decision between the couple.

Being g~ay is against the teachings of the Catholic church as well as is se~x before marriage, living together and a host of other things. The church looks down on divorce as well and the Catholics wouldn't be happy about my husband and I choosing not to have children since that's why one should get married according to the Catholic church. So I don't understand someone bringing the Catholic church into this just to suit their needs when I'm pretty sure there are other teachings they don't subscribe to.

As far as animal adoption, I don't think animal adoption and human adoption are even on the same level. There is no comparison.

Thank you for the reply Smile I totally get that animals aren't people! I do see a parallel though, and I inferred (maybe unfairly) that your sig meant that you would or do judge those who buy animals instead of adopting/rescuing them. I think that's why the juxtaposition of those 2 ideas jumped out at me.

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 WenGirl42 said:

Thank you for the reply Smile I totally get that animals aren't people! I do see a parallel though, and I inferred (maybe unfairly) that your sig meant that you would or do judge those who buy animals instead of adopting/rescuing them. I think that's why the juxtaposition of those 2 ideas jumped out at me.

Since you put it that way, I guess I do judge people who buy dogs. I am totally against dog breeding because there are so many animals in pounds and with rescue groups. I do think everyone should adopt/rescue an animal.

If I applied that same theory, humans shouldn't have anymore children either. They should adopt. But I don't think that's fair. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well. LOL

Respected Contributor

On 6/3/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 6/3/2014 WenGirl42 said:

Since you put it that way, I guess I do judge people who buy dogs. I am totally against dog breeding because there are so many animals in pounds and with rescue groups. I do think everyone should adopt/rescue an animal.

If I applied that same theory, humans shouldn't have anymore children either. They should adopt. But I don't think that's fair. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well. LOL

LOL, well, not all of our opinions/beliefs have to be logically consistent, right? {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I am a huge proponent of pet rescue/adoption too, and I also judge people who pet shop (it's their right to do so, of course, but it's my right not to like it haha!) I'm not bothered by people having their own children instead of adopting...but I am bothered by all the money and resources put into that when it doesn't work the "old fashioned" way. Especially for people like the Rancics who have no constraints as far as being able to get to the top of the list to adopt (rescue) a baby and give it a life exponentially better than it would otherwise have.

Valued Contributor

I don't know who they are, but have no problem with the method if that's what they want. It wouldn't be for me though. I wouldn't miss out on carrying my child for nine months inside me.
Super Contributor

On 6/3/2014 wookie said: I don't know who they are, but have no problem with the method if that's what they want. It wouldn't be for me though. I wouldn't miss out on carrying my child for nine months inside me.
Wookie, she had breast cancer and was advised against fertility treatments as I understand it...
Valued Contributor

On 6/3/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 6/3/2014 wookie said: I don't know who they are, but have no problem with the method if that's what they want. It wouldn't be for me though. I wouldn't miss out on carrying my child for nine months inside me.
Wookie, she had breast cancer and was advised against fertility treatments as I understand it...
Oh. In that case, I totally understand.
Honored Contributor

I believe she went through two rounds of treatments and that's how they found the cancer. I remember he had to give her shots and stuff.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Preds said:

I believe she went through two rounds of treatments and that's how they found the cancer. I remember he had to give her shots and stuff.

Elizabeth Edwards got breast cancer after undergoing hormone fertility treatments.

I wonder if there is a link....

Super Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Preds said:

I had a close friend who two years after fertility treatments got ovarian cancer. She left a toddler and told me right before she passed that she felt it was because of the fertility treatments..