Honored Contributor

I think he went over the line last night.  I usually enjoy his shows because they are funny.  I don't agree with all of his politics nor his love of pot though.

Anna Navarro, a frequent political pundit on CNN, who I happen to like, was her usual feisty self and she "got" to Bill.  They had some rather unpleasant exchanges throughout the show.

His "New Rules" rant was about pot, and in the last minute of the show, he pulled out a joint, lit it up and was blowing smoke all over the set.  Then two more guests did the same thing.

Anna was upset, but she didn't walk off the set.  She just sat there with her arms folded.  I thought it was mean of Bill and it will take me a while to forgive him.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

LilacTree, nice to see you here. Happy Valentine's Day.

Respected Contributor

LOL! I thought you were going to mention that he was a guest star on an old Murder She Wrote that was on last night. I liked him better as an actor.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I think he went over the line last night.  I usually enjoy his shows because they are funny.  I don't agree with all of his politics nor his love of pot though.

Anna Navarro, a frequent political pundit on CNN, who I happen to like, was her usual feisty self and she "got" to Bill.  They had some rather unpleasant exchanges throughout the show.

His "New Rules" rant was about pot, and in the last minute of the show, he pulled out a joint, lit it up and was blowing smoke all over the set.  Then two more guests did the same thing.

Anna was upset, but she didn't walk off the set.  She just sat there with her arms folded.  I thought it was mean of Bill and it will take me a while to forgive him.

His pro pot rant really was inappropriate in my view!  The fact that he actually lit up a joint and some of his panel members did too was in very poor taste!!!  No matter what Bill says about pot, it does have negative effects on users.  Looks like Bill might be exhibiting some of these effects!!  boo.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have HBO anymore, so I have to wait till things end up on YouTube.  Everyone who is a guest on Bill's show knows pretty much how it goes, and Anna Navarro has been on his show many times. She's a big girl and certainly can hold her own with anyone. So can Bill. MJ is legal in my state, but I don't know about California and the legal ramifications of Bill's actions.  Smoking a joint on HBO is hardly a shocking moment for most of his audience, and I doubt it was shocking to Anna. And then of course there is the consideration that perhaps it wasn't really MJ being smoked. Who has smellovision?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bill Maher last night

[ Edited ]

You know that I love you, Lilac, but I disagree with you on this.

Anna knew what she was getting into when she went on the show. She got in her own digs too. The guy she supports not only smoked weed at boarding school - he was a hash dealer too - and doesn't deny any of it either.

And what Bill did was OK with me. It was theater - TV style. For all we know it could have been oregano.

I don't smoke ANYTHING - but I agree that it's less dangerous than alcohol (which I do very little of too).

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I don't have HBO anymore, so I have to wait till things end up on YouTube.  Everyone who is a guest on Bill's show knows pretty much how it goes, and Anna Navarro has been on his show many times. She's a big girl and certainly can hold her own with anyone. So can Bill. MJ is legal in my state, but I don't know about California and the legal ramifications of Bill's actions.  Smoking a joint on HBO is hardly a shocking moment for most of his audience, and I doubt it was shocking to Anna. And then of course there is the consideration that perhaps it wasn't really MJ being smoked. Who has smellovision?

I know some might find it hard to believe that MJ isn't legal in CA!    Yes, we have medical MJ dispensaries, but it's not legal for general use.  I would have thought we'd have been the first state in the country to do so ... go figure.

Honored Contributor

I'm not into smoking anything, but I don't think Maher went anywhere his regular audience wouldn't have expected him to go.

I don't think anyone can watch him and expect to be lulled to sleep.  That would be an imposter in his seat.

MJ isn't even medically available here in Florida right now, but most likely it will be after the next election --and that won't be the worst thing about the results of that election, imo.

Respected Contributor

How would he feel about pot, if his child used it and then went on to Meth and had to go to a rehab program and almost lost her life in a car wreck?  That happened to my child.  I can't watch him and never will.  He's an idiot. And don't tell me that Pot isn't a gateway drug. 

Respected Contributor

i enjoyed the show, but felt uncomfortable with the exchange between ana and margaret about war criminals. 

imo with ana, it's her way or no way.  i thought margaret was entitled to her opinion and ana really jumped all over her.