Honored Contributor

Re: Bill Joel To Be A Father Again At Age 68

[ Edited ]

Billy Joel is on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" at this moment.

He looks fit!

[I'm jealous that he saw "Springsteen on Broadway" last night.  I missed out on getting tickets to it.]

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@september wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this.  I married a middle aged man when I was in my late twenties.  We now have two adult children.

Many have mentioned the possibility that the older parent might die before the children have a good amount of time with him.  There are other issues besides death.  That parent might have health issues that prevent him from fully participating in their Iives.  

@september

I might qualify for that.  I got tired easily, I couldn't be out in the sun without getting sick, I almost didn't make it through the pregnancy, or so they said, and I started having serious problems when she was a very young adult.

That said, we're very close, we have a lot of fun together, and actually all three of us are a close knit family. 

I once asked my then RA how it would be when I was elderly and she said, "We don't know. People with Lupus usually don't live as long as you have."  That was a little chilling.

Yes, but you don't have cognitive issues. Even though I was vague in that response, I was thinking about health problems that could be physical as well as cognitive. My husband hasn't been present in the lives of my children (or me) for many years. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@september wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this.  I married a middle aged man when I was in my late twenties.  We now have two adult children.

Many have mentioned the possibility that the older parent might die before the children have a good amount of time with him.  There are other issues besides death.  That parent might have health issues that prevent him from fully participating in their Iives.  

@september

I might qualify for that.  I got tired easily, I couldn't be out in the sun without getting sick, I almost didn't make it through the pregnancy, or so they said, and I started having serious problems when she was a very young adult.

That said, we're very close, we have a lot of fun together, and actually all three of us are a close knit family. 

I once asked my then RA how it would be when I was elderly and she said, "We don't know. People with Lupus usually don't live as long as you have."  That was a little chilling.

Yes, but you don't have cognitive issues. Even though I was vague in that response, I was thinking about health problems that could be physical as well as cognitive. My husband hasn't been present in the lives of my children (or me) for many years. 

I’m sorry @september

Honored Contributor

It's their business.  You don't have two kids at age 68 without putting some thought into it.

Honored Contributor

Because of the drug epidemic many children are being brought up by their grandparents or in foster care. Single mothers are more cmmon than traditional two parent homes where neither parent is a step. There are children living with two fathers or two mothers.

Families are no longer what they once were. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@september   And, as others here have stated, there are "other issues" a present parent can have that impact the children detrimentally.

Respected Contributor

The women who marry these old geezers have something in their eyes but it's not stars.   It's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs.  50 year age difference between Randall and his wife and 41 between Billy and no. 4 or 5, which ever she is.   I wonder if Billy will be on no. 5 or 6 in a few years when this babe turns 30 and is to old for him.  

Super Contributor

To old.  

Honored Contributor

According to SSA actuarial tables, a 68 year old male today has an average life expectancy of 15+ more years, and according to a recent study in England, the more affluent the man is, the longer his life expectancy.

Valued Contributor

Fathering children in middle and old age is fraught with risks to the child. If one uses a young sperm donor, those risks are less. Many syndromes are much more prevalent in children conceived with old fathers.