Honored Contributor

Re: Bill Joel To Be A Father Again At Age 68

True enough, Noel7.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Yes, anyone can be hit by a truck at any age but the reality, and the demography, of being a 68 year old man is that his young children may grow up without a father. Someone mentioned Tony Randall having married a young woman who had his two children when he was well past his three-score-and-ten. And what happened? Tony Randall died when his children were very young. They probably have no financial worries but I’ll bet those kids would rather have their father. Billy Joel needs to start thinking of those children. He’s not going to live forever. If he’s lucky, he’ll see them graduate from high school.

So what?  Young parents and middle aged parents die, it's a fact of life.  The death of parent does not mean a can't go on to live a happy, fulfilled life.  Th vast majority do.  Older fathers usually have sons from their first wives who step in to be father figures to they younger siblings when geezer dad passes.  Just as when a young father; male relatives step in to be father figures to the children.  

Honored Contributor

Just a random tidbit:  Tony Randall was married to his first wife Florence for 54 years until her death.  

There are always exceptions but I’m more in the have-your-children before you’re eligible for social security camp.  

Honored Contributor

I have mixed feelings about this.  I married a middle aged man when I was in my late twenties.  We now have two adult children.

Many have mentioned the possibility that the older parent might die before the children have a good amount of time with him.  There are other issues besides death.  That parent might have health issues that prevent him from fully participating in their Iives.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Just a random tidbit:  Tony Randall was married to his first wife Florence for 54 years until her death.  

There are always exceptions but I’m more in the have-your-children before you’re eligible for social security camp.  

I just saw that, too @tansy  Perhaps his first wife didn't want children or was unable to have them.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this.  I married a middle aged man when I was in my late twenties.  We now have two adult children.

Many have mentioned the possibility that the older parent might die before the children have a good amount of time with him.  There are other issues besides death.  That parent might have health issues that prevent him from fully participating in their Iives.  

@september

I might qualify for that.  I got tired easily, I couldn't be out in the sun without getting sick, I almost didn't make it through the pregnancy, or so they said, and I started having serious problems when she was a very young adult.

That said, we're very close, we have a lot of fun together, and actually all three of us are a close knit family. 

I once asked my then RA how it would be when I was elderly and she said, "We don't know. People with Lupus usually don't live as long as you have."  That was a little chilling.

Esteemed Contributor

Good for him.I’m a huge Billy Joel fan!!

It’s easier for rich people to have kids later in life.They can always hire help.And they never have to worry about providing for their kids if something should happen to them.

Like the song says “only the good die young”!! Go Billy!!

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

You know, if a 68 year old woman found a way to carry a baby for her young, boy toy (and 4th) husband, the world would be saying GROSS.

There's a doctor in Italy who has performed in vitro on women in their 60's and your're right.  Most people do think it's wrong and the have 1000 reasons why a woman of that age should not become a mother, even though the husbands are much, much younger.  But no one ever has such reservations when a 60, 70, 80 year old man becomes a father.  That old double standard.

Some act like it's an honor for an old man to father a baby. While an old woman, it's a disgrace! The worst of double standards.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

There's something wonderful about not having parents many generations separations. Heck, someone 70 can't even relate to young ones. They make nice grandfathers....

Honored Contributor

Who Was the Oldest Man to Father a Child?

Ramjit Raghav

Ramjit Raghav (born c. 1916) is an Indian former wrestler and farmer who has been claimed by various news media as the world's oldest father. He resided in southern India with his wife. He claimed to have had his first child with his wife at age 94. He fathered a second child at age 96.

Follow-up to the Story:

World's oldest dad, 97, devastated after wife leaves him following disappearance of their son
  • Ramajit Raghav claimed to be the oldest man to father a child aged 94
  • But wife Shakuntala Devi left him after their older boy disappeared

View comments

The world's oldest dad has been left devastated after his wife left him - just days before his youngest son's first birthday.

Ramajit Raghav hit the headlines in 2010 when he claimed to be the oldest man in the world to father a child. Incredibly he then went on to father a second child last year. 

But now, at the age of 97, his wife Shakuntala Devi, who is believed to be in her early 50s, has deserted the nonagenarian and taken along son, Ranjeet, who is set to celebrate his first birthday on October 5.

Scroll down for video

Split: World's oldest dad Ramjeet Raghav, 94 has split from his wife Shankuntala  just a few days before their son's first birthday

Split: World's oldest dad Ramjeet Raghav says he is devastated after his wife Shankuntala left him just a few days before their son's first birthday

Shaken Raghav said: 'Last year, around this time, we were so happy. Ranjeet was born. I felt blessed.

'This year, all I have is my loneliness and the company of the four walls of my house.'

It is the latest bad news to strike the pensioner, who lives in a single room tenement in Haryana, northern India.

Despite the joy of fathering his first child, Bikramjeet, in 2010 and his second son, Ranjeet, last October, he has since been hit by the dissapearance of his eldest.

Six months ago, Shakuntala took their elder son Bikramjeet for a check-up at the local hospital, but she says she fell asleep at the bus stop on the way home. When she woke up, Bikramjeet was missing. 

Video playing bottom right...

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:30
Pause
Unmute

Current Time0:30
/
Duration Time1:01
Fullscreen

ExpandClose

Split: World's oldest dad Ramjeet Raghav, 94 has split from his wife Shankuntala, 52, just a few days before their son's first birthday

Mr Raghav hit the headlines in 2010 when he claimed to be the oldest man in the world to father a child aged last year. Incredibly he then went on to father a second child last year

Loss: Ramjeet Raghav poses for a picture with his wife Shankuntala baby Ranjeet and older son Bikramjeet, 4, who tragically disappeared earlier this year

Loss: Ramjeet Raghav poses for a picture with his wife Shankuntala baby Ranjeet and older son Bikramjeet, four,  who tragically disappeared earlier this year

Mr Raghav says the stress of the situation had begun to take its toll on the pair's relationship as they desperately tried in vain to search for their child.

He said: 'We could never find him after he went missing. We went from pillar to post in search of our son. But we got nothing'.

'When Bikramjeet went missing, I was devastated. But without my wife I feel so helpless. I think my world has come to an end.'

Mr Raghav had last year said the arrival of second son was a 'God's gift'.

Now living in in a single room tenement, he said he has lodged his wife and son's missing report with local government officials.

'She just left last week. She did not say anything. She just walked out of the door with Ranjeet in her arms. I don't know where they are or why she left me,' he claimed.

Devastated: Mr Raghav, 96, poses with a photo of his wife at his home in India today

Devastated: Mr Raghav, 96, poses with a photo of his wife at his home in India today

Ramjeet Raghav poses at the entrance to his house this week
Ramjit Raghav and wife Shankuntala Devi, 52, pose for a picture along with their two month old son Bikramjeet

Ramjeet Raghav poses at the entrance to his house (left) earlier this week and during happier times with wife  Shankuntala  and son Bikramjeet in 2010

'I met Shakuntala on a rainy morning while sitting next to a Muslim shrine and brought her home. She didn't have any family or friends around. She was all that I had in life.'

During an interview last year, Shakuntala said she would've been dead by now if it wasn't for Ramajit's caring ways.

'It doesn't matter how old he is, I love him and I care for him dearly even though he shouts at me sometimes.

'He doesn't seem old to me, he can make love like any 25-year-old man, even better because he can go on all night, and he makes a wonderful father,' Shakuntala had said.

Lonely: Mr Raghav sits outside his home waiting for his wife and son to return

Lonely: Mr Raghav sits outside his home waiting for his wife and son to return

Raghav, a landless labourer who lives on a government pension of Rs 650 (£6.50 a month), first married at the age of 24. But after being widowed for 25 years, he married Shakuntala.

'Shakuntala and I have been together for 23 years,' Raghav recalls.

'But 23 years later, she seems to have chosen her path. All I can do it is wait for her to return.

'I sit by the door most of the time. I think she will return soon. I am waiting. I love her and I know she loves me,' he says with a sigh.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442492/Worlds-oldest-dad-97-devastated-wife-leaves-followin... 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook