Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bill Joel To Be A Father Again At Age 68

@muttmom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

We just flew up to see him in Sept at MSG and it was a really good show. He is such a great entertainer and so great with the audience. I have seen him several times and he was great each time.

@Irshgrl31201

We are seeing him tomorrow night at MSG.  We've seen a few other times there.  He puts on a fabulous show.

I don't even have to say it but enjoy @muttmom!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, anyone can be hit by a truck at any age but the reality, and the demography, of being a 68 year old man is that his young children may grow up without a father. Someone mentioned Tony Randall having married a young woman who had his two children when he was well past his three-score-and-ten. And what happened? Tony Randall died when his children were very young. They probably have no financial worries but I’ll bet those kids would rather have their father. Billy Joel needs to start thinking of those children. He’s not going to live forever. If he’s lucky, he’ll see them graduate from high school.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Yes, anyone can be hit by a truck at any age but the reality, and the demography, of being a 68 year old man is that his young children may grow up without a father. Someone mentioned Tony Randall having married a young woman who had his two children when he was well past his three-score-and-ten. And what happened? Tony Randall died when his children were very young. They probably have no financial worries but I’ll bet those kids would rather have their father. Billy Joel needs to start thinking of those children. He’s not going to live forever. If he’s lucky, he’ll see them graduate from high school.

I don't know anything more about Randall's widow but it's certainly possible that children whose fathers die young will have a stepfather.  Their lives don't necessarily have to beall doom and gloom if their father dies while the kids are  younger than most when their fathers die..

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see where @Vivian said anything about all doom and gloom. She pointed out that other posters saying "anyone can die young" is an anomaly whereas dying of old age is the inevitability. Comparing the two (as been done in this thread over and over) makes no sense whatsoever.

While a step-parent can be a wonderful substitute people are not interchangeable as I'm sure you know. What's been implied in this thread is having a large bank balance or the chair filled with a new dad makes the world go 'round. I think all she was saying was that most children would prefer having dad. 

Trusted Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I don't see where @Vivian said anything about all doom and gloom. She pointed out that other posters saying "anyone can die young" is an anomaly whereas dying of old age is the inevitability. Comparing the two (as been done in this thread over and over) makes no sense whatsoever.

While a step-parent can be a wonderful substitute people are not interchangeable as I'm sure you know. What's been implied in this thread is having a large bank balance or the chair filled with a new dad makes the world go 'round. I think all she was saying was that most children would prefer having dad. 

@SusieQ_2, you've paraphrased a prior response.  All @Pearlee did was respond to a post.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stuyvesant wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@SusieQ_2, you've paraphrased a prior response.  All @Pearlee did was respond to a post.

@stuyvesant  Pearley responded to Vivian and I paraphrased as well as responded in my post to Pearley. When you say "All Pearley did was respond to a post" was there a question she did more? Not sure what point you're making.

Honored Contributor

You know, you all have me thinking about this.  I'm thinking that the type of guy who seems eager to have biological children very late in life or as a geriatric, isn't all that appealing to me personally.  Not sure why.  Does it seem in those circumstances to be a bit self-indulgent and more about vanity?  Maybe b/c to me it seems sort of graceless and perhaps not embracing the unique pleasures of each stage of life.

Exceptions:   Abraham and Sarah from the Bible!  Ha.  (When God ordains it.....!)

Seriously, one scenario that I DO like, would be a much older guy or couple who want to offer an adoptive home to a child that might be considered "hard to adopt".  That child could have a real chance at a loving home they might never have otherwise...

These are just general musings and personal preferences.  No intended criticism of anyone here who loves the idea.   

Honored Contributor

I just saw that yesterday.  On the same show they did an interview with Alec Baldwin's wife and she said she'd like to have at least one more baby.  

They're like Billy Joel in that he's really getting up there and they have 3 very, very young children.  At one time he had two or three children who couldn't even walk....

More power to them....I love my daughters and grandchildren.  However, I also love coming home to my 2 cats and being able to sit quietly and watch whatever I want on TV and not care if it's APPROPRIATE for my 2 cats.  Ha!

I actually spend some time each month with my teenage granddaughters.  I love it.  I learn so much but again, I'm happy to go home and just be quiet.

The difference with these couples is that they have so much money they have nannies and cooks, etc.  It's not like the average person having a baby at 60 or so.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

You know, you all have me thinking about this.  I'm thinking that the type of guy who seems eager to have biological children very late in life or as a geriatric, isn't all that appealing to me personally.  Not sure why.  Does it seem in those circumstances to be a bit self-indulgent and more about vanity?  Maybe b/c to me it seems sort of graceless and perhaps not embracing the unique pleasures of each stage of life.

Exceptions:   Abraham and Sarah from the Bible!  Ha.  (When God ordains it.....!)

Seriously, one scenario that I DO like, would be a much older guy or couple who want to offer an adoptive home to a child that might be considered "hard to adopt".  That child could have a real chance at a loving home they might never have otherwise...

These are just general musings and personal preferences.  No intended criticism of anyone here who loves the idea.   

@Oznell

I think it's usually that they do it for their younger wives.  Tony Randall married very late in life and was thrilled his wife wanted children.  They were a happy family, they still are from all accounts.

A lot of kids don't get parents who live for decades after they are born.

tony

Honored Contributor

tony