Esteemed Contributor

Bill Gates close friendship with venture capitalist

[ Edited ]

Bill Gates, with his wife's knowledge and approval, has for years spent a long weekend with his former girlfriend, who is a venture capitalist. Before he asked Melissa to marry him, supposedly he asked for this woman's advice. Sonny from View mentioned this today and it is elsewhere in media. I was single until 40, still have several very close male friends( dated them) but even by my liberal standards, this would be a bridge too far.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bill Gates close friendship with venture capitalist

A lot of people would have their values skewed by this kind of $.

Personally, nope, Just. Can't Do It.

I do recall last fall that they, or one of them bought a home in CA for like $11M?  

Respected Contributor

@patbz  Reminds me of Price Charles and Camilla.....

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Maybe Mrs. Gates just had had enough.............

Honored Contributor

Ho hum who cares?

Respected Contributor

I've read about that 'friendship' several places, too. While I know strong friendships can endure over time, with ex'es remaining very close, planned weekends alone together would be a stretch for most. 

It seems that Bill has relied on this woman in making major personal decisions, like when pondering marriage. He seems to trust her guidance. Perhaps there are limited few (realistically) he does trust to have his best interest at heart. 

While Bill is absolutely brilliant in so many ways, it's been speculated that he is on the autism spectrum. Having worked with high functioning adults with autism, his behaviors, body movements, affect and speech would support this speculation. Emotions are expressed differently. Like there's just a little chip missing.  

This may make some areas of relating to others more difficult for him, while challenging communication. This could also impact a relationship over time. 

I think the situation is much more complicated than we can imagine. And, I still find it sad. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Maybe Mrs. Gates just had had enough.............

Or Mrs Gates had/has her own side piece(s) and/or jump offs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

That wouldn't work for me. Buddies don't get veto power over my relationship. I'd be like, "If I have to hear 'But Deborah said,' one more time I'm done!"

I think relationships are between the primary people involved and when needed, a therapist. (Except in cases of physical or substance abuse in which case it's all hands on deck.) Triangulating outside of the relationship always creates instability and trouble.

But as long as everyone is an enthusiastic primary participant, whatever love relationship configurations other people want to create for themselves are fine by me, and are their business.

Some folks have such complicated relationships nowadays that they have to create diagrams to keep them straight. I'm not kidding.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I'm not speculating about someone else's marriage.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Ho hum who cares?

Yet you've posted on two Bill Gates threads.