Honored Contributor

Re: Bill Cosby resigns from Temple University board

On 12/2/2014 shoekitty said:

As i have said in other posts, women have come a long way. I can remember a time when women weren't allowed to work or do certain things. The ERA wasn't even ratified until 1972!! Even at that it didn't help turn people's long held stereotype conceptions of things. Look at Anita Hill. If they were raped it was most always their fault. Most women didn't report rape or abuse, it meant being attacked publically, and being a pariah. If it was known someone was raped, they lost all friends, just about. They carried a scarlet "R" on their chest. Even with the out right casually "loose" 70's, things often were turned around to the women having many partners, she wore clothing that tempted men. If a woman was beaten, it was always "what did she do to upset him"? or, "she probably deserved it". Yikes! It wasn't until the 1990's things got a bit better. Today with DNA technology, the internet, and police documenting attacks and such on computer and national database, it can be a bit easier to accuse someone. But even at that that, money makes the fight harder. When the other has the legal team, and the power to destroy accuser it can be an uphill fight. You have to put your armor on and prepare for battle.

I imagine when many of these women reported Bill Cosby, they were either ignored or told they could never win with all Cosby's money. Lack of strong evidence, lack of DNA knowledge maybe a factor. When a women is being presented with a dismal situation, and hopeless outcome, they might take monetary compensation as a last result. JMHO

Well said ....... being raped often results in great feelings of shame ..... and now it's Cosby's turn to be shamed .... publicly. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

I cant help but wonder if he ever got out of line with the young girls who were on Cosby or with Phylicia Rashad. She seems to be the type that would have zero tolerance. I would love to here her thoughts on him today.

Respected Contributor

Shelbelle, I'd bet that when he was doing that show, he kept everything clean and straight. The women before were ones he "picked" up at different places. No close family connections, girls who were wannabes in the entertainment industry. In other words, girls who would fall for his manipulation. The actors in that show were all strong in their own right. Also, his wife and kids were living in Massachusetts. The show was filmed in Brooklyn...too close to.home. previously, a lot of his actions were while he was living in LA and family on East coast.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 12/6/2014 Shelbelle said:

I cant help but wonder if he ever got out of line with the young girls who were on Cosby or with Phylicia Rashad. She seems to be the type that would have zero tolerance. I would love to here her thoughts on him today.

I seriously doubt it ..... on a show like that, there would have been too much scrutiny for him to be able to get away with anything.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 12/1/2014 millieshops said:

I assume he'll resign from any institution that wants to wash away his name. Means nothing much at this point.

I doubt he led a Dr. Huxtable life - there's not much of that in his business, but it's beyond sad at this point. He's wise to take his funds and go into hiding.

Right now, I'd love to know which women are telling the truth because I do think some are. I also am cynical enough to think some of them also could be grabbing onto the bandwagon of sordid shame in hope of a moment of fame they haven't found any other way. Way too easy to say "Me, too."

Seriously? ...... Since when did being the victim of a sexual assault give them a "claim to fame" ?? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Recently, there have been several talk show hosts and a couple of politicians that say sexual assault gives women a claim to fame.

It's part of what is now being called "The Rape Culture" of today, which is centered around blaming the victim.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

I agree Lulu2.

Nice to recognize some names around here.

For those, who think I am the newcomer, I have just been away a bunch of months, due to work and other reasons. Glad to be back...

Magenta

Honored Contributor

I read this morning that Lisa Bonet stated that the tweets about Bill Cosby were from a fake account .... I don't know what was tweeted, maybe someone here knows.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Lisa-Bonet-Cosby-1089686.aspx

Also, the LAPD has opened an investigation on the Bill Cosby attacks and is urging women who've been attacked to come forward, even if the statute of limitations is over. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Bill-Cosby-Rape-LAPD-Investigation-1090488.aspx