Respected Contributor

Re: Bill Cosby has been sentenced

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

First, let me say that I am relieved that justice has been served.  There is no question of that.

Although I am in agreement with the verdict and sentencing, a certain idea kept gnawing at me.  As a white woman, I thought it would be peculiar if I wrote that thought here for all to read, but reporter Scott Evans expressed what I was thinking a few minutes ago on Access, the NBC TV show that reports show business news.

I do not remember his words exactly, but Scott said that he was happy justice was served, but as a young black man, it is a very hard thing for him to have Cosby and the whole Cliff Huxtable persona come crashing down like this. 

What Cosby achieved by giving young blacks so many worthwhile role models for a father, mother and family unit was cherished, I think, and to see that the man himself was something else must be emotionally devastating.  For so long, Cosby himself was an excellent role model for strivers in the black community.  He achieved much in the way of material wealth, was philanthropic and the world respected him.   

Scott said today's resolution to Mr. Cosby's crimes is a loss all around.  It is a crying shame, that's for sure.

Image result for cliff huxtable

@golding76, all good and well, but I had and have a hard time with his lecturing blacks, especially young black males about how to act and behave. First, I thought it was arrogant and condescending. But more than that, it exemplifies hypocrisy in an almost cosmic way.

I get no joy from any of this, other than the fact that one woman won the battle.

It may very well be a loss of a role model for young black males. However, Barack Obama has had it over BC in every way (I also disliked BCs lectures to AA youth). Not only is he self-made, educated, thoughtful, articulate and a devoted and loyal family man, he was also the POTUS for 8 years. I don't think you'll find a better role model than that.

Esteemed Contributor

I worked with this monster, and I cried today when I saw him led away in handcuffs because justice was absolutely served and I wasn't sure I would ever see the day that would happen.  I just wish it could have been decades earlier.  He lived out the prime of his life without paying any kind of price for the way he treated women - not just the crimes we've heard about, but the general way he humiliated women and treated them as objects put on earth purely for his own entertainment and amusement. 

He was always disgusting - outwardly grabbing women, using vulgar language, making suggestive remarks, and I saw that happen right in front of his wife too.  Despite his image, he was very much disliked in the entertainment business, by men as well as women.  He was arrogant, and awful in every way.  Justice was served.  This was a very good day.

Honored Contributor

I hope that those who are writing back fully realize that I would in no way compare the likes of Bill Cosby to Barack Obama.

I am simply focusing on Mr. Cosby and what he represented during his heyday when we did not even know of Barack Obama. 

Valued Contributor

@bridal_diva wrote:

3-10 yrs in a sate prison; registered as a sexually violent predator & required to register as a sex offender.

What a mess he made of his life and reputation!

AND....what a mess he has made of other peoples lives and their reputations. This sentence is no justice for what he has done.

Respected Contributor

It's time for these predators to realize they're not in a good old boys' club anymore.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Prison won't be that bad for him.

The others will be falling over themselves to do him favors.

He has $$$ and money talks.

I hope he has to serve his time and is in a small cell, cold, lonely, hungry and humiliated.  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow  I doubt everybody will like him. Many inmates don't look kindly on rapists.

Here in Pennsylvania, we have a prison with a section just for sex offenders. Maybe Bill Cosby and Jerry Sandusky will be cell mates. 

He will likely end up in Somerset State Prison where he will meet with many men who are known to molest others.  Might be a wake-up call for him.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

throw rocks at me but I’m still going to say this.  Yes, what he did was wrong, and he should be punished.   If I was the judge and given his age and all his health problems, I would have given him house arrest for three years.  

House arrest in a mansion with all the creature comforts?  I don't think so......

Exactly.  House arrest would not be any kind of punishment.  Especially for someone who's supposedly so old and infirm.

And not only that, but he was able to live out the majority of his life in grand style with more freedom, money, and accolades than most of us will ever have.  He should have been punished decades ago, but he was able to live the best years of his life without any punishment - or even hint of punishment -  for the horrible crimes he clearly committed against  many, many other human beings.

It's not as though an old man committed these crimes.  And his "health problems" certainly seem to be suspect and exaggerated.  He did the crimes.  He should do the time.  It's still nowhere near the sentence he actually deserves,

Respected Contributor

@LUVNLIFE wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Prison won't be that bad for him.

The others will be falling over themselves to do him favors.

He has $$$ and money talks.

I hope he has to serve his time and is in a small cell, cold, lonely, hungry and humiliated.  

While I don't agree with the mistreatment of prisoners, his cell is pretty small. This picture was posted in an article on the Daily Mail, from the new prison to which Mr. Cosby will be remanded.

cosby.jpg

Respected Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK7OWppYGbg

Phoenix State Prison.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~