Honored Contributor

Last night.  A line of powerful storms moved through Maryland last night.  A lot of cicadas died last night, sitting on trees.  Not sure if there were any tornado.  They are rare in Maryland, though they do occur.  Not the dreaded Derechos, (that's Spanish for "straght ahead" straight line storms)thank goodness.  I was worried about that, but it didn't happen. Now that is extremely rare.  Quite a very noisy light show. First severe storm of the season here.  We had storms, but not as powerful as this one was.  Kept losing power, but it would come back on and finally stayed on.

Respected Contributor

I'm in east central Pa. and they were saying we'd be getting a bad storm, but it never happened. It didn't even rain.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I'm in east central Pa. and they were saying we'd be getting a bad storm, but it never happened. It didn't even rain.

i think they moved up and Eastward toward Delaware.  The remnants of them are in the Atlantic.  

Valued Contributor

@songbird ...  they were loud storms and came right at my bedtime, after midnight in my area.  BUT it was wonderful to let my dogs out this morning without humidity and NOT HEAR the undercurrent of noise from the blasted cicadas in my yard for the first time !!  I've had quite enough of them for this year ... last night at a local lacrosse game the cicadas were almost divebombing those of us sitting in the stands !!   I will sweep them off my patio and close that chapter of summer 2021 ...  ugh !!

Honored Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@songbird ...  they were loud storms and came right at my bedtime, after midnight in my area.  BUT it was wonderful to let my dogs out this morning without humidity and NOT HEAR the undercurrent of noise from the blasted cicadas in my yard for the first time !!  I've had quite enough of them for this year ... last night at a local lacrosse game the cicadas were almost divebombing those of us sitting in the stands !!   I will sweep them off my patio and close that chapter of summer 2021 ...  ugh !!

I was picking up branches with cicadas (dead) still clutching the trees.  There are still new stragglers coming up from the ground.  I saw them crawling around during my walk yesterday.  They have to leave numbers behind.  Once they mate, they die.  Nature (storms) will kill some of them, but most will manage to mate for the next batch in 2038.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Guess these storms are happening all over....Here in South Texas just when we thought our month and a half of storms was over and the summer heat was on its way..🥵 yesterday, right before dusk, we got a powerful thunderstorm ...torrential rain, wind, and it sounded like some hail too....glad we didnt lose power....(the kind of storm if you are driving you have to pull over because the rain is coming down so hard and you cant see and windshield wipers are worthless)....WHEW!!! ⛈️

P.S. Did I mention there's disturbance in the Gulf that could lead to more rain and severe weather...STAY TUNED!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”