Honored Contributor

Re: Big Storm on Horizon

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

WOW!!---NO PAY!!! Thats unbelievable!!!!...But where do you live? Is snow a common occurrence???

We are in Texas so a snow day is RARE, doesnt even have to be a blizzard....the city just wants to keep everyone OFF the road so they dont overburden the road crews and police department with accidents since no one is used to driving on snow...so if its really bad the Mayor declares it a "state of emergency" and all schools, businesses are closed, most companies will pay employees .. Now if its just a few flurries then its up to the individual company rules....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We got about 4" and Albuquerque got practically nothing.  The winds were coming through Tijeras Canyon at about 60mph and dissipated the snowflakes.  Those poor TV reporters out in the pre-dawn darkness in that wind and blowing snow.  I felt for them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom. Beautiful quilt, as usual.  Everybody loves butterflies so it should make somebody very happy.  Glad to hear you're keeping busy in the dark, dreary days of winter.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

We live in Nebraska, and while we do get snow, how much varies quite a bit. Don't consider this winter to be even "bad" when it comes to snow and/or it's depths.

Was 41° today and will be about the same Wednesday, but Thursday? They are calling for up to a -22° windchill, and that is bone chattering ca-ca cold! Unfortunately I have a court date in the morning that day. Ain't looking forward to court or the cold walk from where I will have to park. May just have to run, if I still can.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 @Desertdi , I woke up this morning to big snow which was predicted.  I have a meeting this afternoon so we need to get cleaned out.  My guess is the work commute will be a bad one and my morning swim will be later than usual.

On a bright note, I got quite a bit of quilting done over the past several days.  Before I really get in the grove of quilting, I have to settle on the right needles which I have done.  I have three main thread colors so I keep three needles going.  It took me a while to get that straight ... I should just discard the ones I don't like but too lazy to sort them out🙄.

Will post a picture when I am a little further along.  Twelve out of forty squares done, half of them in the last couple of days.  LM

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Spurt 

The big company for which I worked required it to meet "their standards for a Blizzard", and in the unlikely event it did? It was "no pay", just an uncharged absence. A "Snow Day" for work? That's funny!

We had "The Blizzard of '75" and it took them months to finally agree. And all this over an "unpaid/uncharged absence" This was only for hourly workers, not management or office workers, they got paid straight up. Discriminatory? Nah! Just the way it worked.

hckynut

@hckynut   I (unfortunately) lived within walking distance.....and I had a key to the door.......so I had no excuse.   Didn't do my regular job....just spent the day answering the switchboard to tell customers "we are closed".  Ha.........it was also a big company.......and I had NO IDEA who got paid and who didn't.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥