Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

Wow.  This is great news.  Free drugs -- just call the pharms and you are good to go.  I will take personal responsibiity.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again @winamac1

You don't have to be facetious.  I didn't say "free drugs for every drug or for everyone".  I stated that MANY of the branded, expensive biologics are being sold by major companies (not generic drugs), and they do offer free programs.  I was only trying to help some who may not have known about the many programs offered!

I've dealt with this for years, and I do know that with the product I carry, many Medicare patients won't call the support teams back to even get screened for the free drug program.  So, yes...some should take personal responsibility to SEE if, perhaps, the product they are on...if it's a branded drug, offers assistance.

I also don't know about compounded drugs.  They may not offer the programs the Big Pharma branded products do.

@winamac1 I don't know if this applies to me either but I still appreciate your input for those that may gain for your knowledge.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

Wow.  This is great news.  Free drugs -- just call the pharms and you are good to go.  I will take personal responsibiity.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again @winamac1

You don't have to be facetious.  I didn't say "free drugs for every drug or for everyone".  I stated that MANY of the branded, expensive biologics are being sold by major companies (not generic drugs), and they do offer free programs.  I was only trying to help some who may not have known about the many programs offered!

I've dealt with this for years, and I do know that with the product I carry, many Medicare patients won't call the support teams back to even get screened for the free drug program.  So, yes...some should take personal responsibility to SEE if, perhaps, the product they are on...if it's a branded drug, offers assistance.

I also don't know about compounded drugs.  They may not offer the programs the Big Pharma branded products do.

@winamac1 I don't know if this applies to me either but I still appreciate your input for those that may gain for your knowledge.

Thanks!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

Exactly @momtochloe.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Check out what those exact same super expensive and reasonably -priced drugs offered in the US cost in Europe.

It's really not all that complex.

I wonder if wages have anything to do with it?  Just asking.

One of the biggest factors that comes into play when comparing prices US citizens pay for meds versus other countries has to do with buying power.  Most of those other countries have some type of a national healthcare system.  Either national healthcare of national health insurance.  So the agency that is purchasing meds from the company is purchasing in signficantly larger quantites than smaller units in the US.  So Canada places an order that is just from one place in signficant numbers, therefore they have a better position to bargin for better prices.  Here in the US, it may be one insurance company, one hospital, one clinic, etc.    Makes a big difference since they don't have such big numbers to place for an order. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Check out what those exact same super expensive and reasonably -priced drugs offered in the US cost in Europe.

It's really not all that complex.

I wonder if wages have anything to do with it?  Just asking.

One of the biggest factors that comes into play when comparing prices US citizens pay for meds versus other countries has to do with buying power.  Most of those other countries have some type of a national healthcare system.  Either national healthcare of national health insurance.  So the agency that is purchasing meds from the company is purchasing in signficantly larger quantites than smaller units in the US.  So Canada places an order that is just from one place in signficant numbers, therefore they have a better position to bargin for better prices.  Here in the US, it may be one insurance company, one hospital, one clinic, etc.    Makes a big difference since they don't have such big numbers to place for an order. 

US Citizens are paying for all the R/D.  The drugs, as you stated, are far less expensive in other countries largely due to national healthcare and US citizens paying the cost--especially non Medicare/Medicaid patients.  

Middle class workers--especially those with insurance are paying the cost--increased premiums too.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

This is so sad ..... it's like a bad dream ..... how can people pay $10,000 for a tube of medication? .... I wonder if the insurance companies cover any part of this????

They can buy the generic for $30.

Honored Contributor

Well I see it that they are just pricing themselves right out of business. That is what it is called... Greed.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Well I see it that they are just pricing themselves right out of business. That is what it is called... Greed.

@SeaMaidenFrom the outside looking in, I could see that we would all think that is the case, in every industry.  In the industry, where we work, it is not.  It is protection from the big $$ loser products we have to absorb and all the research we fund ourselves.  We have to have a viable option to promote, in order to get research $$ to continue.  That's $$ we pay out before we try to market to any group that would be willing to help with some funding, for further research in that area.  We could pay more than $1M to repair a machine and that could easily happen more than once a year.

I'm not sure people hear about that part of the business.

I suspect other industries follow something similar.  It isn't just this vs. that.MO