Honored Contributor

People have a choice of whether or not to pay lots of money for a sports event.

Totally different from the drug and insurance companies having you by the short hairs.

Respected Contributor

I read that one of the reasons for the Epi-Pen increase was an actual order or consideration of one to MANDATE it being in schools.

I guess the drug company, seeing that they had an automatic customer base, decided to hike the price.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Sometimes I think the drug and insurance companies are plotting a way to thin out the herd.  Prices raised above a reasonable level by pharm and insurance cos. refuse to pay or raise the deductable to amounts not realistic for low and low middle income people.

I guess if you can afford to attend football and basketball games then you can afford to pay whatever the cost of Rxs. drugs. 

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I read that one of the reasons for the Epi-Pen increase was an actual order or consideration of one to MANDATE it being in schools.

I guess the drug company, seeing that they had an automatic customer base, decided to hike the price.

Hyacinth

Google Gayle Manchin mother of Mylan CEO Heather Bresch
Honored Contributor

@January121  I checked for the heck of it. It's a $15 co-pay for me (now that I've reached my deductible, that is).

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

Sometimes I think the drug and insurance companies are plotting a way to thin out the herd.  Prices raised above a reasonable level by pharm and insurance cos. refuse to pay or raise the deductable to amounts not realistic for low and low middle income people.

I guess if you can afford to attend football and basketball games then you can afford to pay whatever the cost of Rxs. drugs. 

You know, I've heard this tossed around a few times among those who teach in higher education. It''s been a topic in a few classes... and they're not pointing fingers at drug and insurance compaines when teaching. When discussed, I just sit there, sip my tea and go "Hmm...".

Esteemed Contributor

Tragedy to have such high prices for drugs that save lives.  Have a family member who needs insulin (pump).  Same high prices.  Monopolies, hold up on generics, and people pay  up or die.  It is that simple.  

Trusted Contributor

Do your meds. go toward deductible?  Mine don't.  I pay out of pocket for my $1,000/shot med. every year.  If they go toward deductible, one item per year would take care of your deductible, the whole family I would guess.  That's alot of money, I get it.  Do you have an HSA, those $$ are tax deductible.  We all need to do the best we can with our circumstances. MO 

When we go to single-payer system, we'll all be paying for everyone's meds.  $10,000 at that point, might be cheap. MO

But----

All in all, I would venture to say that we don't want drug companies to STOP THEIR RESEARCH.  I know I want them to continue.

Trusted Contributor

Research for meds that few could afford would be pointless.

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

Research for meds that few could afford would be pointless.

Not necessarily. They may have a rare disease but can afford any and all treatment. 

There are also those that have a rare disease but can't afford the treatment that is out there.

In both cases, the patient suffers due to lack...either due to lack of drug, lack of money or both. I know this all too well.