Esteemed Contributor

I read a local obituary and the man had 11 deceased siblings and 7 surviving siblings.  19 kids in total.

My Mom was 1 of 10.  5 brother, 2 sisters. (Plus one sister that died at 4 of diphtheria and a brother died at birth).

My Dad had 1 brother and 1 sister.

Me, I have 1 sister.

Honored Contributor

Re: Big Family or Small Family.

I think women who have 12 or more children have either:

no control....

no birth control....

an addiction like someone with too many dogs or cats....

it was common 100 plus years ago to have a dozen kids  because women had no say in anything in their lives and were 2nd class citizens and treated as property. 

Today women have the vote and have birth control...USE IT.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden Try not to judge.

Honored Contributor

I think that today with all that is available and still a family chooses to have a large family the answer is simple, lots and lots of love and patience.  Having more than 2.5 children does not equate to stupidity.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

My fathers side of the family was large, very large.  He had 8 brothers and 4 sisters, not including twins (a boy and and a girl) who died at birth.  Some of my father's sibling went on to have large families (not like his).  My Grandmother died in 1997 at 95.  I remember reading her obituary, it was something like 30 grandchildren...including great grandchildren.  Just about all my relatives lived in a different state.  Very, very small town...old coal mining town.  Sadly, there are only 2 alive from my father's side now, two boys.

Trusted Contributor

Today women have the vote and have birth control...USE IT.

All I can say is WOW

Last I heard we still had freedom of choice to have as many children as you want

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We all have choices without judgement.  Why is this a topic? It's a very personal decision for a female and/or her partner/husband. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Woman were a product of their times. I had family members who lived on farms. Children helped parents. 

Honored Contributor

Both my parents came from families of seven and yes, I do think availability of birth control was a factor. They had one. My mother wanted a larger family but it didin't work out. As for me, I have none. I say have what you want as long as you can afford it without looking to 'the village' to pick up the tab. If that's 'judgement', so be it. Personally, had I wanted children, which I didn't, my limit would have been two.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Mom is 1 of 8; dad was 1 of 5.  I had one brother and I have 0.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown