Honored Contributor

Here you go, @dulwich. Really love the boat house, complete with mermaid. The cement ship was off to the right.

670F18C8-353F-4B74-96D6-6E732B4DB225.jpeg03AC54CD-C170-4420-893F-690074FD72C2.jpeg

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde   Oh wow Moonchilde this made my heart leap.  How kind of you to post pics of where we are heading.  Looks like there had been some rain.

Big sort out. Yuk!  Doing some every day and it is very tiring but you will know all about that.  Thanks for pics.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@Moonchilde   Oh wow Moonchilde this made my heart leap.  How kind of you to post pics of where we are heading.  Looks like there had been some rain.

Big sort out. Yuk!  Doing some every day and it is very tiring but you will know all about that.  Thanks for pics.

@dulwich - My pleasure :-)

I lucked out - it only spritzed and sprinkled on me most of today, didn’t really seriously rain like yesterday & last night.  Didn’t even get the phone wet when I took pics.  I love the ocean & the beach when it’s gray & stormy.

Rain has been up to 3 inches in the mountains, close to 2 inches in your spot, maybe 1-3/4 inches for me - over the two days. We were very lucky to dodge the predicted winds, so no power outages at the house - whew! 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I totaly agree onionsoup, the very last place on earth I would move to. I would rather move to Iraq. All the pot smokers and loose laws plus, it cost a fortune, for what? A lawless State.

Respected Contributor

Consider yourself fortunate that you have that decision or choice to make.  A lot of us don't have family who cares.  Friends later in life can be hard to come by since they are sometimes totally involved with their family.  Some would love to have your decision.

Honored Contributor

Only you can decided, I don't want the blame if it doesn't go right.  Everyone is different and you know best the workings of your family unit.  Any friends there for you guys?  Will you be called upon to babysit?  Do you think you'll be spending a lot of time with family?  Can you count on friends and/or neighbors here if you stayed, in the event of an emergency?  Will this place you're headed be your children's forever homes, or might a job make them move, after you get out there?

I don't need those answers.  From past observances and life, those are the things I've seen happen to people once they uproot.  Like I said, you know your family dynamics best of all.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like you thought things through and it's the right decision for you and your friends should be supportive.  DH retired last year and we planning on moving NC, already bought a lot and getting our house ready to sell.  It was a really hard decision but the right one for us.  Our friends have been nothing but supportive as they are in the same boat, do they stay or move somewhere near family or to an area where it's cheaper to live.  We've all decided that no matter where we live, we'll do our best to stay in touch and visit when we can.  Good Luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@chiclet  We have thought thro all of things you mention.  My daughter IS my best friend - we enjoy each other, fight, laugh but love to be together.  Yes I will babysit - only 1 baby -  but that is what we want to be part of - want our grand baby to know us - as my son-in-law says - come home, make memories here with us it is important.

The family is very well established - been same location nearly 28 years DH and I being the only two - as family say - 'missing.'  Thank you for all your viewpoints.  Now back to sorting.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

I totaly agree onionsoup, the very last place on earth I would move to. I would rather move to Iraq. All the pot smokers and loose laws plus, it cost a fortune, for what? A lawless State.

@HLP, I know; right? I can't leave my house without walking through a MJ haze. I'm high before I even reach sidewalk. And now that we have no laws, police, or jails, it's just like the Old West.

So please, stay where you are because this is h*ll on earth.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  I will remember all the horrendous events that I have seen written on this thread that may/or may not come re our move to CA.  When our beach house is water logged and our apartment in the hills is mud engulfed - even though both are built on stilts - then I will say why did I move to beautiful CA but will die happy with my tribe.

@HLP   You've seen nothing like the pot smokers, guns, etc until you've lived in AZ.  Most times DH and I are the only not stoned people at retirees parties  not teens - the older generation - I had never experienced this before but DH and I are definitely in the minority - never had this in CA.  Not medicinal use either!  Saw a young man pushing buggy with baby and gun sticking out of his back pocket walking down our main street - never seen this in CA either.  Just two of many examples from our experience - but I do like AZ but do not join in lots of the 'pleasures.'  As we say in U.K. Horses for courses!