Trusted Contributor

Many home values have rebounded in Ca although not in all areas such as in the Inland Empire.  If a home in Ca has rebounded, selling it before the next economic downturn makes the most sense.  One certainly does not want to be in one of the most expensive states in the country when that happens again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My mother loved sayings - most of them were true. She would say in regard to large decisions that if it happened easily it was meant to be - but if it was difficult or heartbreaking it probably wasn't meant to be. Our move from Pa to Florida went very easily and smoothly. It made us feel confident we had made the right decision.

Every battle ever fought was not won by those who sniffled into a hankie and said this is too hard. It was never meant to be so let's go home.

Honored Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

@dulwichWhy can't your family move to your city? Earthquakes, taxes, gang violence, high apt rents, high cost to purchase a home, property taxes would be a big factor in not moving to CA. Don't let superstition make up your mind on such an important event that will affect you long term. 

This is a whole bucketful of negative, uninformed assumptions!  

California is a very big state, and not everthing mentioned here, applies to every area of the state. Perhaps the taxes, although most of us who are happy here, would say we get our money's worth.  

Good luck to you @dulwich.  I think you're making the best decision for you. 

Trusted Contributor

@septemberThere will be another economic downturn.  Millions of homeowners in Ca were unable to sell because their homes were under water and many have not fully recovered.  Anyone who has recovered would be wise to sell so they can make a profit.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

@dulwichWhy can't your family move to your city? Earthquakes, taxes, gang violence, high apt rents, high cost to purchase a home, property taxes would be a big factor in not moving to CA. Don't let superstition make up your mind on such an important event that will affect you long term. 

California is a very big state, and not everthing mentioned here, applies to every area of the state. Perhaps the taxes, although most of us who are happy here, would say we get our money's worth.  

One wonders, after several such posts, if @puttypiesmom has an agenda to trash the entire state of CA - thereby insulting all forum members who live there.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

One wonders, after several such posts, if @puttypiesmom has an agenda to trash the entire state of CA - thereby insulting all forum members who live there.  

Of course not.  I used to love Ca.  Maybe some of you should stop being so sensitive.  IF you are a homeowner you should be aware of what will eventually happen.  

Honored Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

Of course not.  I used to love Ca.  Maybe some of you should stop being so sensitive.  IF you are a homeowner you should be aware of what will eventually happen.  

There is no way that you as an individual can know what will eventually happen - if anything “eventually happens.”  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Big Decisions - Signs?

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

There is no way that you as an individual can know what will eventually happen - if anything “eventually happens.”  

You've never been a homeowner and have no idea of the devastation one feels when their home is underwater.  The economy cyclically downturns about every 10 years, hopefully it will take much longer next time around. 

Honored Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

You've never been a homeowner and have no idea of the devastation one feels when their home is underwater.  The economy cyclically downturns about every 10 years, hopefully it will take much longer next time around. 

I have a family member who lost their home. Honestly - it was their own fault. They were living way beyond their means. They walked away and never looked back. Their current financial management hasn’t improved.

I understand that wasn’t the case with everyone, but everyone wasn’t blameless either.

Just because you lost a home in CA doesn’t mean the state is going, has gone or will go down the tubes in general. 

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

I have a family member who lost their home. Honestly - it was their own fault. They were living way beyond their means. They walked away and never looked back. Their current financial management hasn’t improved.

I understand that wasn’t the case with everyone, but everyone wasn’t blameless either.

Just because you lost a home in CA doesn’t mean the state is going, has gone or will go down the tubes in general. 

We didn't lose our house nor did we walk away. We persevered for many years and waited before we sold it and made a profit.