Honored Contributor

Re: Big Brother Is Listening!

[ Edited ]

There is a reason on why they don't let you remove batteries from phones now.

Turning off location means nothing.

Chips  on debit cards are also there for a purpose.

FB users made it to easy for them to gather info.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  You can do that....however, as the tech guy said, they (anyone who has the ability) can STILL get the information needed from the phone even when it's off.

As long as it's STILL with you and even off someone who knows what they're doing still can tell the general vicinity of where it's been.  It isn't easy and you really, really have to know what you're doing but he said it can be done.

Besides it defeats the purpose of having a cell phone when you do that.  People shouldn't have to do that.  That was my point.

It's the price we pay for having all of these gadgets.  That's one reason I still keep my land line.  Although I'm constantly 'griping' that I don't use it much anymore because I get so many robo calls on it, I don't even answer the stupid thing.

I think I'm noticing a theme here (a them on my part) the theme...."I'm griping way too much".  Ha!  I think I'm even boring myself with all of this griping!

Really, though, what bothers me mostly is that the young(er) generation just accepts it and that it doesn't bother them (well, generally, most of them) at all.

It won't take long before privacy will become just like the dinosaurs.....gone totally (except in the movies).  

Wow!  That was a dramatic phrase!  I can't believe I actually thought that!

Gotta go....I've been 'binging' on the Amazon Prime series "Botch" for days!  Stayed up til 3:30AM watching it....it's calling me......

Respected Contributor

I don’t think we have any idea of the extent these new devices keep tabs on us.  

I was once looking on a website and when I went to close it out, a message popped up saying: “(My Real First Name), don’t leave”. First time on the website; never registered there or entered any information.

This happened a long time ago, so I was really shocked. I would not feel that way today. Many times, I receive catalogs in the mail after looking for the same products on the internet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

You have choices to "opt out" on advertising, also disable apps, including those that track your location.

But be vigilant, since the newer tech offers the user less control in data collected, fewer settings choices, and your choices can be changed remotely.

I have one phone that goes with me.

Its "old" (2015) but a smartphone.

I can call, text, email, etc.

It can't track, 'listen', and I dont get any ads.

My newer devices stay at home.

I've disabled 'Alexa' day after day on a newer Amazon tablet. She doesn't stay disabled, and I've seen other settings mysteriously re-set as well. 

@x Hedge

Opting out, do not call lists and other ways they tell you to secure your privacy doesnt seem to work!!!  I do use ad blockers and toughest security software....  I think it all comes down to Google Chrome and Facebook....and I have to have a Facebook Account for work (for live meetings) and for my volunteer work (both mandatory)!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't have a smart phone. I think that's smart of me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi  Fun answer; loved it.  Serious topic though.

Respected Contributor

Got a chuckle about some comments stating they would not give up their smart devices and go back to the Dark Ages.  The Dark Ages would have been the 1990's!  Yes, we had cell phones then, but that was about it, and they definitely were not smart!   Amazing that we were able to survive! 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Got a chuckle about some comments stating they would not give up their smart devices and go back to the Dark Ages.  The Dark Ages would have been the 1990's!  Yes, we had cell phones then, but that was about it, and they definitely were not smart!   Amazing that we were able to survive! 

Some people like technology and some don’t. People can survive anyway they want to. Some people do not drive which I cannot imagine. Keep up or don’t, it is up to each individual.

Honored Contributor

I will say it again.  This is due to the privacy act of 2015, being overturned last year.  It went into effect this February, 2018.  Now our internet provider can not only  allow  merchants and advertisers to track us on the internet, they can sell the info.  Look it up.  Internet privacy act.this is done to help commerce, not us.  This way the government feels businesses will not be hampered.  You can not opt out of this.  bUT, pretty soon we will be able to pay a premium to our internet provider to  opt out.  The other part of this law that was overturned was the internet fairness provision.  If you paid Verizon, at&t, etc for a service. We were to be connected all the same.  Not so now.  Our internet providers can, and will be slowing certain towns, areas down in order to provide faster service to those who pay a higher fee.  This gives the internet providers the right to not maintain all lines, or update them.  If there is an area that does not benefit them, they can slow it down to provide service to a more lucrative area.  It is the new internet.

this is why all of us have seen an increase in spam in our inboxes.  As soon as we click something, they track and send emails.  The worst part to me is, is the telemarketer calls,  they sell our info, someone buys a bundle of info.  Then the buyer calls to see if there are "live" numbers.  Thats why some calls never answer, or go to voice mail and are blank.  If they get a hit, they package it up to sell again.  Some one further researches the live numbers for income, gender, political bent, vocations...then sell them in a more direct way.  Some even show up at your door, as door to door!   I guess you all can tell, I am miffed about all this.  When the law when going thru congress people just didn't pay attention.  They counted on that.  So, here we are.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

What you DO KNOW about the 3 major Tech Giants is the good part. What you DON'T KNOW is the BAD part.

Privacy?  There is none, not even in your own home, unless it is equipped like the pre running water era. Echo and Siri are fairly well known by the general public, but Big Brother pales in comparison to the Giant Tech Eyes and Ears. Got a newer cell phone? On or off, it knows where it resides, and at almost any given time.

We wanted technology, and this was/is the mostly unknown hidden cost that we pay for it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)