Respected Contributor

Big Bear Eaglet Cookie has died......🦅😢

This was posted on the FOBBV Facebook page. Friends of Big Bear Valley and Big Bear Eagle Nest Cam 24 mins · We are very sad to say that it looks like Cookie died just a little bit ago. He was up earlier but looked weak; he also seemed less energetic yesterday. This last storm was a tough one with rain first and then snow and cold temperatures (just like last year). As we could see with Jackie, the feathers got wet and then the snow stuck to them. The chicks weren't able to fit fully underneath her yesterday and last night. We've consulted with Dr. Sharpe and he says that it hypothermia was likely the cause again. Cookie was not moving much and hardly breathing earlier. With elevation of Big Bear, the nest timing should be more similar to Alaska with egg laying in April (not in January, February, or March). Such early egg laying at this elevation exposes them to a lot of bad weather. Typically when a chick dies in the nest, it gets moved off to the side or buried by new nesting material. Climbing the tree again to retrieve the body is unlikely. We are mourning with all the rest of you. Nature can be very tough. The survival rate for bald eagles is 50% in the first year. We will all be rooting for Simba to stay strong and healthy.
Respected Contributor

Re: Big Bear Eaglet Cookie has died......🦅😢

@Naturesbeauty   this is so sad - circumstances were similar to BBB's passing last year.  rain snow low temps.. hard to take when it happens.

Simba looks strong so i am taking heart in that.

i love the eagles and there are many nests around, Catalina, Channel Islands, Big Bear -  but Mother Nature really threw this nest a curve ball for late May weather.  

Godspeed, Cookie.

Respected Contributor

Eaglets face so many perils. I had no idea when I first started watching eagle cams.  I don’t watch anymore.

Honored Contributor

Nature is amazing and beautiful....but nature is also very cruel.  

Esteemed Contributor

Poor baby Cookie.  May Cookie soar high in heaven.